Metricbeat 6.5.1 - Setup command with flag --path.config ignored

Dear all,
according to "metricbeat help setup" output, --path.config flag is supported. Unfortunately, when running the command line : metricbeat setup -e --path.config /opt/application/metricbeat/current/conf, I get the output :slight_smile:

[root@i-000a5c9b-hidden-database-server-15421269931 bin]# metricbeat setup -e --path.config /opt/application/metricbeat/current/conf --strict.perms=false --v
2018-12-11T16:34:07.930+0100 INFO instance/beat.go:592 Home path: [/usr/share/metricbeat] Config path: [/etc/metricbeat] Data path: [/var/lib/metricbeat] Logs path: [/var/log/metricbeat]

Meanning that metricbeat does still trigger the default config file /etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml

Please note that the flag --path.config is working perfectly with filebeat

Thanks for your support.
Best Regards. Richard

Are you running the above directly against the metricbeat binary or is metricbeat above the startup script? Check where the metricbeat file is that you execute above and see if it's a binary or a script.

Thanks Ruflin for your reply,
I guess I am running directly against the metricbeat binary located in default directory /usr/share/metricbeat/bin. See outputs below for confirmation.
As a a workaround, I do now load the dashboard by enabling the setup.dashboards section of the metricbeat.yml config file still located in a customized location.
In addition, this way, the loading is idempotent unlike the CLI setup command.
Have a good day.
Regards. Richard

[root@i-000a5c29-database-server-15421243581 bin]# pwd
/usr/share/metricbeat/bin
[root@i-000a5c29-database-server-15421243581 bin]# ls -l
total 72060
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 72725620 Nov 16 02:39 metricbeat
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1057147 Nov 16 02:39 metricbeat-god

Glad you found a solution. I think I miss something obvious in the above because the first version should have worked :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.