Metricbeat on kubernetes

I am a novice user and just started to explore metric beats. I wanted to monitor kubernetes, right now I am using the cloud trial version. The issue is I couldn't get the data from kubernetes into the elastic cloud.However, my local system logs are alone being ingested into the cloud. I followed the documentation provided on the elastic site but end up getting the same error and the logs are not being pushed.

In metribeat.yml file I changed my elastic cloud setting, provided with cloud id and cloud.auth and in output part i changed my elastic search output by providing the cloud elastic search host address in the host part and corresponding credentials.

In metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml , I changed the following,

output.elasticsearch:
hosts: ['${ELASTICSEARCH_HOST:https://......:9243}:${ELASTICSEARCH_PORT:9243}']
username: ${ELASTICSEARCH_USERNAME}
password: ${ELASTICSEARCH_PASSWORD}

Deploy a Metricbeat instance per node for node metrics retrieval

apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1

env:
- name: ELASTICSEARCH_HOST
value: https://......:9243
- name: ELASTICSEARCH_PORT
value: "9243"
- name: ELASTICSEARCH_USERNAME
value: elastic
- name: ELASTICSEARCH_PASSWORD
value: $$$$
- name: ELASTIC_CLOUD_ID
value: $$$:#####
- name: ELASTIC_CLOUD_AUTH
value: @@@:####

similarly in # Deploy singleton instance in the whole cluster for some unique data sources, like kube-state-metrics

when i try to deploy on kubernetes, i get the following error.

kubectl create -f metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml
W1220 12:12:38.296990 1982 factory_object_mapping.go:423] Failed to download OpenAPI (the server could not find the requested resource), falling back to swagger

Can somebody please help ? :frowning:

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #2

Hi @kanthimathi!

I have noticed something wrong in your settings:

- name: ELASTICSEARCH_HOST
  value: https://......:9243

:Port should be removed from ELASTICSEARCH_HOST, as it's defined in ELASTICSEARCH_PORT.

Also, could you paste the full output for kubectl create command? I think the swagger message is just a warning

This is the message i get after running kubectl create command,

kubectl create -f metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml W1220 13:16:09.739901 2256 factory_object_mapping.go:423] Failed to download OpenAPI (the server could not find the requested resource), falling back to swagger Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": configmaps "metricbeat-config" already exists Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": configmaps "metricbeat-daemonset-modules" already exists Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": daemonsets.extensions "metricbeat" already exists Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": configmaps "metricbeat-deployment-modules" already exists Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": deployments.extensions "metricbeat" already exists Error from server (AlreadyExists): error when creating "metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml": serviceaccounts "metricbeat" already exists

I did edit the port as u mentioned but still i couldn't find the kuberenetes log in cloud. However, i can view my local host logs

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #4

The problem now is that you already deployed the wrong conf (new error says Error from server (AlreadyExists)). You can fix this by removing and creating metricbeat again:

kubectl delete -f metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml
kubectl create -f metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml

Best regards

Thanks for the timely help

kubectl create -f metricbeat-kubernetes.yaml W1220 13:35:46.373417 2431 factory_object_mapping.go:423] Failed to download OpenAPI (the server could not find the requested resource), falling back to swagger configmap "metricbeat-config" created configmap "metricbeat-daemonset-modules" created daemonset "metricbeat" created configmap "metricbeat-deployment-modules" created deployment "metricbeat" created serviceaccount "metricbeat" created

still the same issue :frowning: no logs in cloud

Thanks,

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #6

You will probably want to see what's going on in the logs, you can check them by following these steps:

• List failing pods with kubectl get pod --namespace=kube-system
  • Chose one of the metricbeat pods
  • Get logs from it: kubectl logs --namespace=kube-system <metricbeat-pod-name>

Best regards

when i tried to do so

Error from server (BadRequest): container "metricbeat" in pod "metricbeat-2s5tb" is waiting to start: trying and failing to pull image

got this message.

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #8

Uhm, error says docker pull is failing for metricbeat image, could you please dump the result of kubectl describe --namespace=kube-system po/metricbeat-2s5tb?

Got this

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #10

Ok you got the docs from master, which includes a non released version, could you please replace all image instances and change 7.0.0-alpha1 to 6.1.1?

Then you will need to recreate, with delete + create

finally made it :smiley: thanks a ton

(Carlos Pérez Aradros) #12

Thanks for reporting! I've created an issue in our repo to fix this behavior when you are using master docs: https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/5930

(system) #13

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.