Metricbeat on Openshift not really supported?

Hi folks,

any of you running metricbeat on openshift to collect state metrics? It looks like it is not supported to collect state metrics of DeploymentConfigs and ReplicationContollers.

Anyone ran into this issue? How do you deal with that? Or is the consequence that Elasticsaerch/Metricbeat is not usable with Openshift?

Thanks

You need to deploy kube-state-metrics in your OpenShift cluster to obtain those metrics. Kubernetes module | Metricbeat Reference [7.14] | Elastic

Thanks for your response.

Yes, it is deployed and I am getting the metrics for the kubernetes objects like state_deployment, state_pod, etc. they are all there

metricbeat.modules:
- module: kubernetes
  enabled: true
  metricsets:
    - state_node
    - state_deployment
    - state_replicaset
    - state_pod
    - state_container
  period: 10s
  hosts: ["https://kube-state-metrics.openshift-monitoring.svc:8443" ]
  bearer_token_file: /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/token
  ssl.certificate_authorities:
    - /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/service-ca.crt
  processors:
  - add_kubernetes_metadata: ~
  - add_host_metadata:
- module: kubernetes
  enabled: true
  metricsets:
    - event
output.logstash:
  hosts: ["${LOGSTASH_HOST:logstash.url.com}:${LOGSTASH_PORT:5044}"]
  loadbalance: true
  ssl.certificate_authorities: [ "/path/to/ca.crt"]
  ssl.key: "path/to/client.key"
  ssl.certificate: "path/to/client.crt"
  ssl.key_passphrase: ${CERT_PASSWORD}

The issue is now that I have no metrics for everything which is deployed as Kind: DeploymentConfig.

Either kube-state-metrics API does not expose this metrics since DeploymentConfig is not an Kubernetes native Object

or Metricbeat does not have the logic to request the metrics for DeploymentConfig from the kube-state-metrics API.

Do you have any idea on that?

Thank you

You may want to check Metricbeat logs. Try to see if there is any error.

I cannot see any errors in metricbeat deployment logs currently.

also from the kube-state-metrics documentation I can see that there is no exposure of the deploymentconfig metics: kube-state-metrics/docs at master · kubernetes/kube-state-metrics · GitHub.

Strange

EDIT:

and in the info logs I cann cleary see that metricbeat is reading the state of the deployments:

...""state_container":{"events":2066,"success":2066},"state_deployment":{"events":100,"success":100},"state_node":{"events":36,"success":36},"state_pod":{"events":2967,"success":2967},"state_replicaset":{"events":345,"success":345}}}...

Does anyone have experience with collecting metrics from deploymentConfig of openshift?

Appreciate any hint

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.