Multiline issue with 2 different patterns for a single event

Hello

I am trying to parse the log below through Logstash, however I can't seem to get the pattern to work. Essentially, I need to have the line straight after the dated line begining with {0=Failed to be part of the same multiline event as the dated event above along with all the java output that begins with a space below it.. right up until the next dated log line.

This is a sample of the log I am trying to parse through Logstash:

2016-07-28 00:10:04,762 ERROR [qtp11076495-4340] com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.passimoduttiRestImpl [writeDiagnosticMessage:1069] - Failed to post data to store FlameBoyance. Diagnostic data at 16CF/57/99/3F/4C/AC/1E/16CF-57993F4C-AC1E9A98-DCEA-AC1EA8EB-1F92-41BD0E. Failure for entries at position [0]
{0=Failed to post data to store FlameBoyance - com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException: Portable(com.tangosol.util.WrapperException): (Wrapped: Failed request execution for FilterPartitionedPofCache service on Member(Id=4, Timestamp=2016-06-28 16:00:15.747, Address=172.30.168.235:10008, MachineId=28623, Location=site:KWSDev,machine:grdplo1001,process:2723,member:n4-grdplo1001.pciwarehouse.local, Role=pciwarehousegamedivpassimoduttiCacheServer)) null
        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.grid.PartitionedService.onNotify(PartitionedService.CDB:3)
        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.grid.partitionedService.PartitionedCache.onNotify(PartitionedCache.CDB:3)
        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.Daemon.run(Daemon.CDB:51)
        ... 1 more
Caused by: Portable(java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException)
        at com.tangosol.io.pof.ThrowablePofSerializer.deserialize(ThrowablePofSerializer.java:57)
        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PofBufferReader.readAsObject(PofBufferReader.java:3316)
        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PofBufferReader.readObject(PofBufferReader.java:2604)
        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PortableException.readExternal(PortableException.java:150)
        at com.tangosol.io.pof.ThrowablePofSerializer.deserialize(ThrowablePofSerializer.java:59)
        ... 12 more
}
2016-07-28 00:10:04,490 INFO  [qtp11076495-4340] com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.resources.RestResource [time_functor:172] - http://hollana.htu.local:8082/chutneymarey/FindingStrings

And this is the filter I have in place:

filter {
    grok {
                    match => { "message" => "\A%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:loglevel}%{SPACE}%{SYSLOG5424PRINTASCII:thread}%{SPACE}%{JAVACLASS:logger}%{SPACE}\[%{JAVAMETHOD:method}:%{NUMBER:line}]%{SPACE}-%{SPACE}%{GREEDYDATA:message}" }
            }
            date {
                    match => [ "timestamp", "MMM dd YYY HH:mm:ss", "MMM  d YYY HH:mm:ss", "ISO8601" ]
                    remove_field => [ "timestamp" ]
            }
    multiline {
            pattern => "^\{"
            what => "previous"
            negate=> true
    }

}

Try this multiline configuration:

multiline {
  pattern => "^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601}"
  negate => true
  what => "previous"
}

Note that the multiline filter is being deprecated. Prefer using the multiline codec.

Also, to overwrite the existing message field in your grok filter you need to set overwrite => ["message"].

2 Likes

It's looking much better than it did before, though I'm still getting a _grokparsefailure

"message" => "2016-07-28 00:10:04,762 ERROR [qtp11076495-4340] com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.passimoduttiRestImpl [writeDiagnosticMessage:1069] - Failed to post data to store FlameBoyance. Diagnostic data at 16CF/57/99/3F/4C/AC/1E/16CF-57993F4C-AC1E9A98-DCEA-AC1EA8EB-1F92-41BD0E. Failure for entries at position [0]\nFailed to post data to store FlameBoyance. Diagnostic data at 16CF/57/99/3F/4C/AC/1E/16CF-57993F4C-AC1E9A98-DCEA-AC1EA8EB-1F92-41BD0E. Failure for entries at position [0]\n{0=Failed to post data to store FlameBoyance - com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException: Portable(com.tangosol.util.WrapperException): (Wrapped: Failed request execution for FilterPartitionedPofCache service on Member(Id=4, Timestamp=2016-06-28 16:00:15.747, Address=172.30.168.235:10008, MachineId=28623, Location=site:KWSDev,machine:grdplo1001,process:2723,member:n4-grdplo1001.pciwarehouse.local, Role=pciwarehousegamedivpassimoduttiCacheServer)) null\n        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.grid.PartitionedService.onNotify(PartitionedService.CDB:3)\n        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.daemon.queueProcessor.service.grid.partitionedService.PartitionedCache.onNotify(PartitionedCache.CDB:3)\n        at com.tangosol.coherence.component.util.Daemon.run(Daemon.CDB:51)\n        ... 1 more\nCaused by: Portable(java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException)\n        at com.tangosol.io.pof.ThrowablePofSerializer.deserialize(ThrowablePofSerializer.java:57)\n        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PofBufferReader.readAsObject(PofBufferReader.java:3316)\n        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PofBufferReader.readObject(PofBufferReader.java:2604)\n        at com.tangosol.io.pof.PortableException.readExternal(PortableException.java:150)\n        at com.tangosol.io.pof.ThrowablePofSerializer.deserialize(ThrowablePofSerializer.java:59)\n        ... 12 more\n}",
  "@version" => "1",
"@timestamp" => "2016-07-27T23:10:04.762Z",
      "host" => "grdvls1004.pciwarehouse.local",
  "loglevel" => "ERROR",
    "thread" => "[qtp11076495-4340]",
    "logger" => "com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.passimoduttiRestImpl",
    "method" => "writeDiagnosticMessage",
      "line" => "1069",
      "tags" => [
    [0] "_grokparsefailure",
    [1] "multiline"
]
}
{
       "message" => "2016-07-28 00:10:04,490 INFO  [qtp11076495-4340] com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.resources.RestResource [time_functor:172] - http://hollana.htu.local:8082/chutneymarey/FindingStrings\nhttp://hollana.htu.local:8082/chutneymarey/FindingStrings",
      "@version" => "1",
    "@timestamp" => "2016-07-27T23:10:04.490Z",
          "host" => "grdvls1004.pciwarehouse.local",
      "loglevel" => "INFO",
        "thread" => "[qtp11076495-4340]",
        "logger" => "com.pciwarehouse.gamediv.passimodutti.rest.resources.RestResource",
        "method" => "time_functor",
          "line" => "172"
}

I suspect you have an extra grok filter somewhere, because the grok filter you're showing above is obviously successful. Are there any unexpected files (e.g. backup files) in /etc/logstash/conf.d or wherever you store your configuration files?

At the moment, I'm just running it manually via STDIN and observing the output on STDOUT while I test that the configuration works OK.

This is the full test configuration I am using to test that the parsing:

input { stdin { } }

filter {

grok {
                            match => { "message" => "\A%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp}%{SPACE}%{LOGLEVEL:loglevel}%{SPACE}%{SYSLOG5424PRINTASCII:thread}%{SPACE}%{JAVACLASS:logger}%{SPACE}\[%{JAVAMETHOD:method}:%{NUMBER:line}]%{SPACE}-%{SPACE}%{GREEDYDATA:message}" }
                            overwrite => ["message"]
                    }
                    date {
                            match => [ "timestamp", "MMM dd YYY HH:mm:ss", "MMM  d YYY HH:mm:ss", "ISO8601" ]
                            remove_field => [ "timestamp" ]
                    }
            multiline {
                    pattern => "^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601}"
                    negate => true
                    what => "previous"
            }
    }

output {
      stdout { codec => rubydebug }
    }

And then manually running it with: /bin/logstash -f ../testconfigs/multiline.conf

Put the multiline filter first (and switch to the multiline codec).

Putting the multiline filter at the beginning did the trick !! Thank you !!

Thanks - I'll now switch to the multiline codec. Regarding the multiline codec - does it have to be used under the input section of a configuration of a file or can it also be used under the filter section as well?

Codecs are for inputs and/or outputs only. They can't be used as filters.

Hello

I am currently using filebeat to input the logs onto logstash.

My current input configuration is as shown below.

input {
        beats {
                port => 5044
                ssl => true
                ssl_certificate => "/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash-forwarder.crt"
                ssl_key => "/etc/pki/tls/private/logstash-forwarder.key"
        }
}

I receive various application log files of different formats from multiple servers). What is the best way to integrate the multiline codec into the input?

Would something like be suitable? All the log files do generally start with an ISO Timestamp.

input {
        beats {
                port => 5044
                ssl => true
                ssl_certificate => "/etc/pki/tls/certs/logstash-forwarder.crt"
                ssl_key => "/etc/pki/tls/private/logstash-forwarder.key"
                codec => multiline {
                  pattern => "^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} "
                  negate => true
                  what => previous
               }
        }
}

Just an FYI, I address the type of files on each filebeat configuration (filebeat.yml) as follows:

-
  paths:
    - /app/vertuso/log/logs/VERTUSOCache_VERTUSOCacheServer*backend.log
  fields:
    applog: VERTUSOCacheBackend
    environment: dev
  fields_under_root: true
  document_type: VERTUSOCacheBackend
  close_older : 1m

-
  paths:
    - /app/vertuso/log/logs/VERTUSOCache_Main*
  fields:
    applog: VERTUSOCacheProxy
  document_type: VERTUSOCacheProxy

-
  paths:
    - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-n*
  fields:
    applog: coherence-server-instance
  document_type: coherence-server-instance
  close_older: 1m

-
  paths:
    - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-proxy*
  fields:
    applog: coherence-server-proxy
  document_type: coherence-server-proxy

-
  paths:
    - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-mbean*
  fields:
    applog: coherence-server-mbean
  document_type: coherence-server-mbean

It is often beneficial to perform the multiline processing as close to the source as possible, and FileBeat now supports multiline processing. Have you considered moving this logic from Logstash to FileBeat?

Ah sure, I am happy to move it to filebeat.

Would something like this work? Essentially, telling it what kind of log files need multipath - And not forcing multipath on all the files being sent by logstash.

-
      paths:
        - /app/vertuso/log/logs/VERTUSOCache_VERTUSOCacheServer*backend.log
      fields:
        applog: VERTUSOCacheBackend
      document_type: VERTUSOCacheBackend
      multiline:
          pattern: ^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} 
          negate: true
          match: after

-
      paths:
        - /app/vertuso/log/logs/VERTUSOCache_Main*
      fields:
        applog: VERTUSOCacheProxy
      document_type: VERTUSOCacheProxy
      multiline:
          pattern: ^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} 
    -
      paths:
        - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-n*
      fields:
        applog: coherence-server-instance
      document_type: coherence-server-instance

-
      paths:
        - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-proxy*
      fields:
        applog: coherence-server-proxy
      document_type: coherence-server-proxy

-
      paths:
        - /app/vertuso/log/coherence-server-mbean*
      fields:
        applog: coherence-server-mbean
      document_type: coherence-server-mbean

AFAIK Filebeat's multiline exprsesions don't support Logstash's grok patterns but otherwise it looks okay. I believe the documentation contains details about the regexp flavor that's supported.

Hello

Just, wanted to thank you for all your assistance, suggestions and corrections with this query!

It's all working fantastically well.

I am now using filebeat to parse the multiline at the source itself after ammending the timestamp using regexp as follows:

multiline:
    pattern: '^[0-9]{4}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{2}'

Once again, your help has been very much appreciated!