Multiple tables as input. Multiple pipelines?

Hello,

I'm a complete n00b at Logstash, so please excuse my ignorance.

I have multple tables that I'd like to read using the JDBC input. They have different schemas, different purposes, etc.

Consuming these data as an end-user, they probably will end up with different visualisations, albeit on the same dashboard on Kibana.

Therefore, I'm thinking that I will put them in different indices in elasticsearch - my first question is, am I on the right track thinking this way?

If I do do that, although I'm sure I can configure it using one config file, I think each config file will be simpler and more maintainable if I split them into multiple pipelines...

Are there any best practices guide relating to this? What do you guys do in such cases?

Thanks,

Justin

Sounds like you are on the right track. I have no experience with the JDBC input but reading the documentation makes it seem pretty straight-forward. I'd suggest that for each table you ingest, it be given a unique index name and then in Kibana, create a unique Index Pattern.

Therefore, I'm thinking that I will put them in different indices in elasticsearch - my first question is, am I on the right track thinking this way?

Yes. You may want to have different mappings for fields with a given name and then you have to store them in different indexes.

If I do do that, although I'm sure I can configure it using one config file, I think each config file will be simpler and more maintainable if I split them into multiple pipelines...

Yes, perhaps. Multiple pipelines is probably the better choice here (unless you need a very large number of them I suppose) but either will work fine.

Hi Magnus, thanks for replying.

I have another question though -

I'm reading multiple different files (IIS log and SQL server log) using filebeat. They have generally the same problem as the JDBC input - they'll end up in different indices, contains different formats (and therefore filters)

Should I create multiple pipelines with multiple beats input on different ports? Or would it be better to have one beats input?

Thanks,

Justin

It's either way really. Personally I wouldn't bother splitting them because I'd want them to share some filters, and eventually I'd want to pick up additional log types and then the port allocation becomes unnecessary overhead.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.