Mutate - replace field string using another pattern

I have been reading through the logstash documentation for a way to chnage the value of a field by running it through a different pattern.

Ref:
replace
Value type is hash
There is no default value for this setting.
Replace a field with a new value. The new value can include %{foo} strings to help you build a new value from other parts of the event.

Example:

filter {
  mutate {
    replace => { "message" => "%{source_host}: My new message" }
  }
}

I tried to use the logic below to rewrite the field but it does not work it only deletes the field and does not run the following grok filter again:

if "Caused by" in [exception] {
        mutate {
            remove_field => "exception"
        }
        grok {
            patterns_dir => ["./patterns"]
            match => ["message", "%{GREEDYDATA}\n%{JAVA_EXCEPTION_LONG:exception}"]
        }
}

Will it work if i do the following instead?

if "Caused by" in [exception] {
            mutate {
                replace => { "exception" => "%{JAVA_EXCEPTION_LONG}: exception" }
    }

Will it work if i do the following instead?

No, that won't work.

What does an example event look like? What does the rest of your configuration look like?

Thanks for the reply Magnus,

the sample message I am parsing is this

2016-11-15 05:19:28,801 ERROR [App-Initialisation-Thread] appengine.java:520 Failed to initialize external authenticator myapp Support Access || appuser@vm23-13:/mnt/data/install/assembly app-1.4.12@cad85b224cce11eb5defa126030f21fa867b0dad
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not check if provided root is a directory
	at com.myapp.io.AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.checkAndGetRoot(AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.java:67)
	at com.myapp.io.AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.<init>(AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.java:30)
	at com.myapp.io.s3.S3FileSystem.<init>(S3FileSystem.java:32)
	at com.myapp.io.s3.S3FileSystemDriver.loadFileSystem(S3FileSystemDriver.java:60)
	at com.myapp.io.FileSystems.getFileSystem(FileSystems.java:55)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.S3LdapConfigProvider.initializeCloudFS(S3LdapConfigProvider.java:77)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.S3LdapConfigProvider.loadS3Config(S3LdapConfigProvider.java:51)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.S3LdapConfigProvider.getLdapConfig(S3LdapConfigProvider.java:42)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.DelegatingLdapConfigProvider.getLdapConfig(DelegatingLdapConfigProvider.java:45)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.LdapExternalAuthenticatorFactory.create(LdapExternalAuthenticatorFactory.java:28)
	at com.myapp.authentication.ldap.LdapExternalAuthenticatorFactory.create(LdapExternalAuthenticatorFactory.java:10)
	at com.myapp.frob.appengine.getExternalAuthenticators(appengine.java:516)
	at com.myapp.frob.appengine.startUp(appengine.java:871)
	at com.myapp.frob.appengine.startUp(appengine.java:754)
	at com.myapp.jsp.KewServeInitContextListener$1.run(QServerInitContextListener.java:104)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: fh-ldap-config/
	at com.upplication.s3fs.util.S3Utils.getS3ObjectSummary(S3Utils.java:55)
	at com.upplication.s3fs.util.S3Utils.getS3FileAttributes(S3Utils.java:64)
	at com.upplication.s3fs.S3FileSystemProvider.readAttributes(S3FileSystemProvider.java:463)
	at com.myapp.io.AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.checkAndGetRoot(AbstractRootPrefixedFileSystem.java:61)

I actually managed to get it working by doing an overwrite instead:

if [exception] =~ "Caused" {
                mutate {
                    add_tag => [ "has_exception" ]
                }
                grok {
                    patterns_dir => ["./patterns"]
                    match => ["exception", "%{JAVA_EXCEPTION_LONG:exception}"]
                    overwrite => ["exception"]
                }
    }

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.