Nagios Performance data => Kafka Topic => Elastic search(Need to process Nagios performance data)

Hello team,

I am trying to process Nagios performance data to ELK using logstash, I am receiving Nagios performance data format below, need to process and update it to the Elastic index.

{"check_type": "service", "check_time": 1647249138.689, "hostname": "wins2016s", "state": "0", "servicename": "Swap Usage", "output": "OK: Swap usage was 53.80 % (Total: 8.93 GiB, Used: 4.80 GiB, Free: 4.13 GiB) | 'total'=8.93GiB;;; 'used'=4.80GiB;;; 'free'=4.13GiB;;;"}

I am able to view data in elastic index and filter with check_type, hostname etc. But I need to split performance data after the | ('total'=8.93GiB;;; 'used'=4.80GiB;;; 'free'=4.13GiB;;;") and write it into something like below
Nagios performance data format is like this:
current value with Unit;Warning value;Critical Value;Min value;Max value
e.g. here. total= 8.93 is the current value and Unit is GiB and there is no warning and critical value here
so, I need to process the all perf data and write it into the index like this.
Trying something like this without calling perl script: Convert Nagios perfdata string to JSON | Philippe Lewin. By doing this I will be able to write condition based on the value and alert it.
######################
[
{
"value": 8.93,
"min": "null",
"label": "total",
"uom": "GiB",
"warning": null,
"max": null,
"critical": null
},
{
"value": 4.80,
"label": "used",
},
{
"value": 4.13,
"label": "total",
}
]

#####################

Thanks,
Ranjith

You could do something like

grok {
        break_on_match => false
        keep_empty_captures => true
        match => {
            "output" => [
                "'total'=%{NUMBER:[total][value]:float}%{DATA:[total][uom]};(%{NUMBER:[total][warning]:float}|)?;(%{NUMBER:[total][critical]:float}|)?;((%{NUMBER:[total][min]:float};)?%{NUMBER:[total][max]:float};)?( |$)",
                "'used'=%{NUMBER:[used][value]:float}%{DATA:[used][uom]};(%{NUMBER:[used][warning]:float}|)?;(%{NUMBER:[used][critical]:float}|)?;((%{NUMBER:[used][min]:float};)?%{NUMBER:[used][max]:float};)?( |$)",
                "'free'=%{NUMBER:[free][value]:float}%{DATA:[free][uom]};(%{NUMBER:[free][warning]:float}|)?;(%{NUMBER:[free][critical]:float}|)?;((%{NUMBER:[free][min]:float};)?%{NUMBER:[free][max]:float};)?( |$)"

]
        }
        add_field => {
            "[total][label]" => "total"
            "[used][label]" => "used"
            "[free][label]" => "free"
        }
    }
    ruby {
        code => '
            s = []
            s << event.remove("total")
            s << event.remove("used")
            s << event.remove("free")
            event.set("someField", s)
        '
    }

but I think that final ruby filter will make it far harder to process the data.

Hi Badger, thanks for the response. Data is dynamic, it will not be always the one I just gave an example. So, is there anyway to execute perl script in logstash and output should be written into index etc. I am looking for something in this blog Convert Nagios perfdata string to JSON | Philippe Lewin .

e.g. perl perfdatatojson.pl "rta=0.038000ms;5000.000000;5000.000000;0.000000 pl=0%;100;100;0"

so, if I can execute the perl script in logstash, I just need to pass performance data as a input to the script, which should write into a index.

Note: Performance output will be like this format. current value with Unit;Warning value;Critical Value;Min value;Max value. In this format there may be even 10 items or more than that which I need to run it through iterations and format it. In this case perl script will take care of iterations, I just need to pass it as a input.

Thanks,

Ranjith.

In a ruby filter you could fork and exec the perl script. It would probably be very expensive to do so.

I suggest you take a look at wrapping that perl script in a REST API and then using an http filter to call it.

Hi Badger, thanks for your suggestion. Is there any other way which we can achieve this without script.

Thanks,

Ranjith

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.