Need help - logstash pipeline isn't working anymore ...?

Kibana -- Discover console is showing events coming in, but the indexing is not working right.
used to be able to see the fields [system][syslog][hostname] and related but now they're gone??

==02-beats-input.conf ==
input {
beats {
port => 5044
}
}

==10-syslog-filter.conf ==
filter {
if [fileset][module] == "system" {
if [fileset][name] == "auth" {
grok {
match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][p
id]}])?: %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][event]} %{DATA:[system][auth][ssh][method]} for (invalid user )?%{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[syste
m][auth][ssh][ip]} port %{NUMBER:[system][auth][ssh][port]} ssh2(: %{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][ssh][signature]})?",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}])?: %{DAT
A:[system][auth][ssh][event]} user %{DATA:[system][auth][user]} from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][ip]}",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sshd(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}])?: Did n
ot receive identification string from %{IPORHOST:[system][auth][ssh][dropped_ip]}",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} sudo(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}])?: \s*%{
DATA:[system][auth][user]} :frowning: %{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][error]} ;)? TTY=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][tty]} ; PWD=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][pwd]} ; US
ER=%{DATA:[system][auth][sudo][user]} ; COMMAND=%{GREEDYDATA:[system][auth][sudo][command]}",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} groupadd(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}])?: n
ew group: name=%{DATA:system.auth.groupadd.name}, GID=%{NUMBER:system.auth.groupadd.gid}",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} useradd(?:[%{POSINT:[system][auth][pid]}])?: ne
w user: name=%{DATA:[system][auth][useradd][name]}, UID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][useradd][uid]}, GID=%{NUMBER:[system][auth][useradd][gid]}, home=%{DATA:
[system][auth][useradd][home]}, shell=%{DATA:[system][auth][useradd][shell]}$",
"%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]} %{DATA:[system][auth][program]}(?:[%{POSINT:[sys
tem][auth][pid]}])?: %{GREEDYMULTILINE:[system][auth][message]}"] }
pattern_definitions => {
"GREEDYMULTILINE"=> "(.|\n)"
}
remove_field => "message"
}
date {
match => [ "[system][auth][timestamp]", "MMM d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
}
geoip {
source => "[system][auth][ssh][ip]"
target => "[system][auth][ssh][geoip]"
}
}
else if [fileset][name] == "syslog" {
grok {
match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][syslog][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][syslog][hostname]} %{DATA:[system][syslog][progra
m]}(?:[%{POSINT:[system][syslog][pid]}])?: %{GREEDYMULTILINE:[system][syslog][message]}"] }
pattern_definitions => { "GREEDYMULTILINE" => "(.|\n)
" }
remove_field => "message"
}
date {
match => [ "[system][syslog][timestamp]", "MMM d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
}
}
}
}

== 30-elasticsearch-output.conf ==
output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
manage_template => false
index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
}

this part works fine in GROK Debugger.. but those fields seemed to have disappeared.. I've tried to delete indexes, but no improvement...

can any please give me some idea how to troubleshoot this?

  1. I've tried deleting the indices and index pattern,
  2. from Kibana discover console, I can see all incoming events with fileset.name = syslog and still containing ["message"]

3)however, there isn't anything that contains/assigned to
[system][syslog][timestamp]
[system][syslog][hostname]
[system][syslog][message]

it's as if the grok match just stopped working...
and it doesn't seem like
remove_field => "message"
is happening either...

this is test environment, so I'm fine blowing things away.. help!

well... I uninstalled 7.4.2 enviroment and re-installed 6.8.5 ... fields are matching again...
assumption is that previous attempt to upgrade to 7.4.2 corrupted something..
but now dealing with weird parsing/indexing.. =(