New Plugin-Api setAttribute not shown in APM App

Kibana version: 7.8.0

Elasticsearch version: 7.8.0

APM Server version: 7.8.0

APM Agent language and version: Java 1.33.0

Browser version: Chrome 103

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):
I'm trying to set an attribute in an instrumentation plugin via the new Plugin Api:

Tracer tracer = GlobalOpenTelemetry.get().getTracer("TibcoServer");
SpanBuilder spanBuilder = tracer.spanBuilder(subject).setSpanKind(SpanKind.PRODUCER);
if (subject.startsWith("_INBOX")) {
    spanBuilder.setAttribute("type", "reply");
} else {
    spanBuilder.setAttribute("type", "publish");
}
Span span = spanBuilder.startSpan();
Scope scope = span.makeCurrent();

The Transaction and Span for this instrumentation is shown in the APM App but i can not find this attribute anywhere in the APM-App or on the span document in the apm* indices.

Is that not a supported feature of the Plugin-Api yet or is my APM-Server Version to old for this?
Where should this attribute be seen?

Not sure why this doesn't work. Maybe the type attribute key is a reserved one and the APM Server maps it to something. Try to use a different attribute name, for example - message-action.

If that doesn't work, please find a document of such span, verify it is indeed one on which you set the attribute, and share it.

I changed the name of the artribute i set but no luck (its another instrumentation for the client side because i can change that more easily):

Tracer tracer = GlobalOpenTelemetry.get().getTracer("TibcoServer");
Span span = tracer.spanBuilder(subject).setSpanKind(SpanKind.PRODUCER)
        .setAttribute("messageIsA", "request")
        .startSpan();
Scope scope = span.makeCurrent();

Here the Json doc of the transaction that is created in the apm index (it only has a transaction with no span):

OK, sorry for missing that before - I thought that we send OTel attributes as labels, for which the mapping is dynamic, but we send them as otel.attributes, which APM Server supports only since 7.16.

ok that makes sense, thank you for confirming my suspion.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.