New Plugin: logstash-filter-augment - Enhance your events from external data files

(Adam Caldwell) #1

I wrote a plugin that people here might find useful. Given a CSV/JSON/YML file with structured data, add fields to your event based on a lookup into that file.

The use-case I had for it was to do geocoding based on account number. I created a CSV file that had accountnumber,lat,lon as fields and then used the plugin to lookup the account number and add a [location] element to my events.

The filter looks at the file modified time and merges in any changes when the file changes, so it can be use to decouple a database lookup -- ie extract your data from the database and then put the file on the logstash server.

If anyone is interested, it's on rubgems.org: https://rubygems.org/gems/logstash-filter-augment and github: https://github.com/alcanzar/logstash-filter-augment/

I'd welcome any bug-reports/feature requests.

(Magnus Bäck) #2

How is this different filter different from the translate filter?

(Adam Caldwell) #3

Translate can only add 1 field to an event. Augment can add multiple fields at once. The use case I wrote it for was to add lat/lon based on an account number.

(Magnus Bäck) #4

Okay. You could add multiple fields with a translate + json combo, though.

(Adam Caldwell) #5

the other use case I see is combining data from an external source. For example you have a username in your logs, but you want to add details on their name, business unit, groups, etc.

You can periodically extract a full dump from your source of truth to a CSV file and then augment your events with that information.

(Magnus Bäck) #6

The translate filter works fine for that use case.

(Adam Caldwell) #7

I don't see how. For a csv file it uses the first field as the dictionary key and the second field as the value. You'd have to have a csv file for each attribute you wanted to augment onto the event.

(Magnus Bäck) #8

Oh, you gave another example of where one would want to augment an event with multiple fields. That should still be possible with a translate + json combo.

(Roger Martins) #9

Hi, i'm a bit stumped, i want to implement this use case and i can not figure out how to handle lon/lat with translate+json combo. I dont have much experience with ELK.

If you have some time, would you be able to post 1 example of this configuration?

Thanks in advance!

(ps:Decided to ask here 'cos google got me here while searching for the subject, i bet others ended up in this thread as well)

(Adam Caldwell) #10

With augment, your .json file would look like

{ "1001": { "lat":123,"lon":23 }, "1002": {"lat":43,"lon":43 } }

The logstash config would be:

augment  {
  target => "[location]"
  field => "your_key_field"
  dictionary_path => "geocode.json"
}

I'd assume it'd be similar with translate. You would also have to add a mapping to your index to make location a geo_point

(system) #11

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.