NGINX access grok pattern

Lets take this message as an example:

sub.ourhost.org 10.10.10.10 - - [23/Oct/2017:09:30:23 +0000] 
"POST /api/v4/jobs/request HTTP/1.1" 204 0 "-" 
"gitlab-runner 10.0.1 (10-0-stable; go1.8.3; linux/amd64)"

If I use the pattern suggested in the 5.6 docs:

grok {
  match => { "message" => ["%{IPORHOST:[nginx][access][remote_ip]} - %{DATA:[nginx][access][user_name]} \[%{HTTPDATE:[nginx][access][time]}\] \"%{WORD:[nginx][access][method]} %{DATA:[nginx][access][url]} HTTP/%{NUMBER:[nginx][access][http_version]}\" %{NUMBER:[nginx][access][response_code]} %{NUMBER:[nginx][access][body_sent][bytes]} \"%{DATA:[nginx][access][referrer]}\" \"%{DATA:[nginx][access][agent]}\""] }
}

The first match %{IPORHOST:[nginx][access][remote_ip]} gets me a remote_ip field, but it discards the host info.

How does IPORHOST work?

If it will sometimes return a hostname, does it make sense to put the results in a remote_ip field?

I decided that I want both so I adapted the grok:

grok {
  match => { "message" => ["%{DATA:[nginx][access][request_host]} %{DATA:[nginx][access][remote_ip]} - %{DATA:[nginx][access][user_name]} \[%{DATA:[nginx][access][time]}\] \"%{WORD:[nginx][access][method]} %{DATA:[nginx][access][url]} HTTP/%{NUMBER:[nginx][access][http_version]}\" %{NUMBER:[nginx][access][response_code]} %{NUMBER:[nginx][access][body_sent][bytes]} \"%{DATA:[nginx][access][referrer]}\" \"%{DATA:[nginx][access][agent]}\""] }
}

Note that my nginx conf (from jwilder/nginx-proxy ) is sending both $host and $remote_addr:

The standard nginx log does not include $host.

The first match %{IPORHOST:[nginx][access][remote_ip]} gets me a remote_ip field, but it discards the host info.

It doesn't discard anything. It matches an IP address or hostname. In your example that IP or hostname needs to be followed by " - ", so only 10.10.10.10 will match the IPORHOST pattern. If you want to get sub.ourhost.org into a field you need to say so:

^%{IPORHOST:[nginx][access][request_host]} %{IPORHOST:[nginx][access][remote_ip]} - ...

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.