No Logstash errors, but no data

Working indexing and adding fields to OpenVPN logs in pfsense, the original config (stolen from git) works fine and parses out all the pfsense syslog inputs correctly.
When I add in the following I get no errors in the Logstash logs, but no more data shows up. Not sure how to track down the issue(s).

grok {
    patterns_dir => ["/etc/logstash/conf.d/patterns"]
    match => [ "message", "%{PFSENSE_OPENVPN}" ]
     }
      if ![geoip] and [src_ip] !~ /^(10\.|192\.168\.)/ {
          geoip {
               add_tag => [ "GeoIP" ]
               source => "src_ip"
               database => "/etc/logstash/geoipdbs/GeoLite2-City.mmdb"
      }
   }

With the added grok pattern of
PFSENSE_OPENVPN ((%{USERNAME:username}[/]%{IPV4:src_ip}:%{INT:src_port})|(%{IPV4:src_ip}:%{INT:src_port})) %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}

I got this to work by just making a separate filter file for anything with the openvpn tag that was originally assigned. But I still get a grok failure even though the message field will correctly parse with the above grok pattern.

Still not sure why that is the case and any help/recommendations are welcome, thanks!

You have not told us what the data looks like.

The input is originally from syslog and the message field I am trying to match looks like

"message": "user/9.9.9.9:27956 MULTI_sva: pool returned IPv4=10.77.7.2, IPv6=(Not enabled)"

The syslog preprocess filter is

filter {
  if [type] == "syslog" {
    if [host] =~ /10\.0\.0\.1/ {
      mutate {
        add_tag => ["pfsense", "Ready"]
      }
    }
    if "Ready" not in [tags] {
      mutate {
        add_tag => [ "syslog" ]
      }
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if [type] == "syslog" {
    mutate {
      remove_tag => "Ready"
    }
  }
}
filter {
  if "syslog" in [tags] {
    grok {
      match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }
      add_field => [ "received_at", "%{@timestamp}" ]
      add_field => [ "received_from", "%{host}" ]
    }
    syslog_pri { }
    date {
      match => [ "syslog_timestamp", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM  dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      locale => "en"
    }
    if !("_grokparsefailure" in [tags]) {
      mutate {
        replace => [ "@source_host", "%{syslog_hostname}" ]
        replace => [ "@message", "%{syslog_message}" ]
      }
    }
    mutate {
      remove_field => [ "syslog_hostname", "syslog_message", "syslog_timestamp" ]
    }
  }
}

That message looks nothing like the pattern you are trying to match it to. A _grokparsefailure is expected.

user/9.9.9.9:27956 MULTI_sva: pool returned IPv4=10.77.7.2, IPv6=(Not enabled)"`

match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }

This works. Not sure what you are trying to do with the additional groups (parentheses) and alternation (|).

grok {
        pattern_definitions => {
            "PFSENSE_OPENVPN" => "^%{USERNAME:username}/%{IPV4:src_ip}:%{INT:src_port} %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}"
        }
        match => { "message" => "%{PFSENSE_OPENVPN}" }
    }

Yep, that was it. I got rid of the group redundancy.
Also may have forgotten to put the definition variable into {}....

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.