Opentelemetry migration

Kibana version : 7.6

Elasticsearch version : 7.6

APM Server version : 7.3.2

APM Agent language and version : java 1.9.0

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? fresh install

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc. :----no

I am using APM agent currently and wanted to see how to migrate my open tracing API to open telemetry. I was going through https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/apm/get-started/current/open-telemetry-elastic.html , this is mostly for docker set up I suppose

I have an onprem set up with APM server using opentracing bridge to get the tracings. Am I right if I say the corresponding opentelemetry bridge is not available YET ?

So what exactly is the link that I posted above could be used for.

Any updates?

OpenTelemetry is a bit different to OpenTracing. OpenTracing is just an API with no canonical implementation. OpenTelemetry provides an API and complete, canonical implementations (SDKs) with a common wire format (OpenTelemetry Protocol/OTLP). We do not (currently at least) provide "bridges" like we did for OpenTracing. Instead, we integrate with the OpenTelemetry Collector to translate from OTLP to our protocol and model.

If you want to migrate from the OpenTracing API to OpenTelemetry API, then you will need to deploy OpenTelemetry Collector, and configure it with the Elastic APM Exporter. This component sits between your OpenTelemetry-instrumented services and APM Server, as illustrated in the docs page you linked to.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.