Parse Json data wrapped in "message" into event fields

the issue is that the log in json format, sent from filebeat to logstash, the json data got wrapped in the message field and cannot be parsed into event fields.
I have read a lot of posts on the similar issue over this weekend, and I followed the online document on the configuration of logstash:
the following is my configuration:
input {
beats {
port => 5044
type => "mylog"
}
}

filter {
if [type] == "mylog" {
json {
source => "message"
}
}
}

output {
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

but I found that the log data is still the value of "message", and did not get parsed.
I would be appreciated it very much if anyone could shed some light.
thank you!

(Magnus Bäck) #2

This is the correct way of doing it (you could also set codec => json in the beats input). What do you get when you try this?

from Kibana, I can see the json data in "message", but I cannot find keys/values from the json data in the list of the fields.
I validated the json data via /logstash -f mytest.conf manually. The json data got parsed correctly. Is there a way that the json data gets parsed without manual way? I have read many posts but I cannot figure a solution for the specific issue. I believe I must have missed something, and I need help to know what I missed.

thank you.

(Magnus Bäck) #4

Please give an example of the stdout { codec => rubydebug } output so that we can see exactly what the resulting events look like.

Logstash startup completed
{
"message" => "{"test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}",
"@version" => "1",
"@timestamp" => "2016-02-03T04:42:08.507Z",
"host" => "...",
"path" => "/mytest1.log",
"test1" => "testvalue1",
"mymessage" => {
"mtest1" => "test"
}
}

elasticsearch result processed directly from logstash:
"_source":{"message":"{"test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}","@version":"1","@timestamp":"2016-02-03T04:42:08.507Z","host”:”…”,”test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}

** the json data got parsed.

the result from elasticsearch shipped from filebeat to logstash:
"_source":{"@metadata":{"beat":"filebeat","type”:”my-log"},"@timestamp":"2016-02-03T04:46:30.234Z","beat":{"hostname”:”…”,”name”:”…”},”count":1,"message":"{"test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}","offset":0,"type”:”my-log"}

** the json data did not get parsed.
I guess my question is, why does the json data not get parsed by the logstash if the json data is sent by filebeat to the logstash?

thank you!

(Magnus Bäck) #6

elasticsearch result processed directly from logstash:

What do you mean? If you use a file input in Logstash instead of Filebeat?

I don't think the evidence is consistent. How come there's a type field here:

"_source":{"@metadata":{"beat":"filebeat","type”:”my-log"},"@timestamp":"2016-02-03T04:46:30.234Z","beat":{"hostname”:”…”,”name”:”…”},”count":1,"message":"{"test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}","offset":0,"type”:”my-log"}

But not here:

{
"message" => "{"test1":"testvalue1","mymessage":{"mtest1":"test"}}",
"@version" => "1",
"@timestamp" => "2016-02-03T04:42:08.507Z",
"host" => "...",
"path" => "/mytest1.log",
"test1" => "testvalue1",
"mymessage" => {
"mtest1" => "test"
}
}

Also, the JSON payload is parsed in the second example but not in the first.

(system) #7