Parsing a long json line with filebeat to logstash

Hi all,

Im trying to parse a big json line into logstash. The json is an array of multpiple object. I'd like each object to be an event and each value to be a field. This is my filebeat config:

filebeat.inputs:
- type: log

enabled: true

# Paths that should be crawled and fetched. Glob based paths.
  paths:
    - "D:/data/*"
processors:
  - decode_json_fields:
      fields: ["studio_state"]

output.logstash:
  # The Logstash hosts
  hosts: ["logstash:5151"]

JSON string looks like (but is much more lenghty)

[{
	"Location": "0.0,0.0",
	"event_name": "Resource Tab Selected",
	"main_category": "Sequencer",
	"sub_category": "Not available",
	"start_timestamp": "2018-08-19T00:17:04.847",
	"end_timestamp": "2018-08-19T00:17:04.847"
}, {
	"Location": "0.0,0.0",
	"event_name": "Resource Tab Selected",
	"main_category": "Sequencer",
	"sub_category": "Not available",
	"start_timestamp": "2018-08-19T00:17:04.847",
	"end_timestamp": "2018-08-19T00:17:04.847"
}]

And my logstash config:

input {
        tcp {
                port => 5000
        }
        beats {
                codec => "json"
                port => 5151
        }
}
filter {
  json {
    source => "message"
  }
}

## Add your filters / logstash plugins configuration here

output {
        elasticsearch {
                hosts => "elasticsearch:9200"
                index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
        }
}

I've tried many different combinations but with this one I get this message:

{"monitoring": {"metrics": {"beat":{"cpu":{"system":{"ticks":343,"time":{"ms":78}},"total":{"ticks":389,"time":{"ms":78},"value":389},"user":{"ticks":46}},"info":{"ephemeral_id":"714c1baa-3aa1-4d39-8884-273d6edea87b","uptime":{"ms":180078}},"memstats":{"gc_next":4194304,"memory_alloc":1702152,"memory_total":3961352,"rss":12288}},"filebeat":{"events":{"added":1,"done":1},"harvester":{"open_files":3,"running":3,"started":1}},"libbeat":{"config":{"module":{"running":0}},"pipeline":{"clients":1,"events":{"active":0,"filtered":1,"total":1}}},"registrar":{"states":{"current":3,"update":1},"writes":{"success":1,"total":1}}}}}

Most annoying part to me is : "events":{"active":0,"filtered":1,"total":1

I don't understand why it is dropping the event. When I parse the JSON in a linter, it is valid, if I try to make it in multiple lines instead of one, it goes to ES(logstash) but i creates an event per line.

Any help appreciated.

@Gab_Ubi First, let's try to know if Filebeat is sending events to Logstash. If you replace your logstash configuration by the following:

input {
        tcp {
                port => 5000
        }
        beats {
                codec => "json"
                port => 5151
        }
}
filter {
  json {
    source => "message"
  }
}
output {
  stdout {
   codec => rubydebug
  }
}

And start Logstash interactively with the above configuration, logstash -log.level debug -f ./myconfig.conf, after start filebeat, do you see any outputs?

Hi Pier, thanks for your answer.

I does send logs (I've monitored with TCPdump and watched the index getting created)
but only when the json in not on a single line. When its on a single line, filebeat just seems to drop it.

,"pipeline":{"clients":1,"events":{"active":0,"filtered":1,"total":1}}}

@Gab_Ubi Oh, does the single line in your log terminate with a \n? Filebeat looks for them to know when a line is complete, when it doesn't exist it assume there is still data that need to be appended. All loggers add a new line when a log statement is complete.

@pierhugues Good I'm going to try that and let you know :slight_smile:

You were exactly correct, i added \n at the end and its feeding now. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.