Parsing duration with 00:00:00 format

I have a CSV that has multiple durations that are in seconds but one of the columns has the duration as 00:00:30 for 30 seconds for example. I cant work out how to get that into seconds/integer easily. I can think of a few ways, breaking it up into hours, minutes, seconds etc. I also tried using a date filter then converting the object with ruby to integer but that didn't work.

Is there an efficient way of doing this?

Using a date filter will not work unless you diff it with 00:00:00 because there are defaults for the other fields. I would go for "breaking it up into hours, minutes, seconds". What did you try and what did not work?

TEST REPLY

TEST REPLY 2

TEST REPLY 3

Hi Badger, finally got back to working on this.
Ended up doing the below which seems to be working well.

grok {
     match => { "ConnectedTime" => "%{NUMBER:dur_hours}:%{NUMBER:dur_mins}:%{NUMBER:dur_secs}"}
  }

ruby {
   code => "
          h = event.get('dur_hours').to_i / 3600
          m = event.get('dur_mins').to_i / 60
          s = event.get('dur_secs').to_i
          event.set('ConnectedDuration', h + m + s).to_i
          "
 }

mutate {
   remove_field => ["dur_hours", "dur_mins", "dur_secs"]
 }

Surely "/ 3600" and "/ 60" should be "* 3600" and "* 60". Also, calling .to_i on the return value of event.set does nothing, you should remove that.

Personally I would move the remove_field into the ruby filter so that if something in those fields causes it to throw an exception those fields are not removed.