Parsing metricbeat json log in filebeat -> got processing timestamp, not log timestamp

Hi,

I use following workstream:

metricbeat for gathering metrics -> using file output to buffer on disk -> transfer the log via filebeat to logstash -> do further enrichment -> send to elasticsearch.

Here is my filebeat prospector configuration for the metricbeat log:

# metricbeat probes
- input_type: log

# Paths that should be crawled and fetched. Glob based paths.
  # To fetch all ".log" files from a specific level of subdirectories
  # /var/log/*/*.log can be used.
  # For each file found under this path, a harvester is started.
  # Make sure not file is defined twice as this can lead to unexpected behaviour.
  paths:
    - /var/log/metricbeat/metricbeat_probes.log

encoding: utf-8
  ignore_older: 24h
  document_type: metricsets
  scan_frequency: 10s
  symlinks: true

#  json.message_key: message
  json.keys_under_root: true

here is an example log line of the metricbeat log:

{"@timestamp":"2017-02-27T10:55:14.839Z","beat":{"hostname":"xxxx","name":"xxxx","version":"5.2.1"},"hostName":"xxxx","metricset":{"module":"system","name":"process","rtt":25517},"serverType":"control","stage":"Production","system":{"process":{"cmdline":"/usr/share/metricbeat/bin/metricbeat -c /etc/metricbeat/metricbeat.yml -path.home /usr/share/metricbeat -path.config /etc/metricbeat -path.data /var/lib/metricbeat -path.logs /var/log/metricbeat","cpu":{"start_time":"2017-02-27T10:04:43.000Z","total":{"pct":0.001300}},"fd":{"limit":{"hard":4096,"soft":1024},"open":7},"memory":{"rss":{"bytes":12972032,"pct":0.001600},"share":5967872,"size":499920896},"name":"metricbeat","pgid":28560,"pid":28560,"ppid":1,"state":"sleeping","username":"root"}},"type":"metricsets"}

Now I encountered the issue, that the @timestamp is not correct. Some processing time is used.

There are no error tags on the event, just the normal "beats_input_raw_event".

Any Ideas? What is my mistake?

Thanks, Andreas

See json.overwrite_keys in the documentation. I think you need to have this set in order to allow @timestamp from the Filebeat event to be overwritten by the decoded @timestamp value.

many thanks. That solved the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.