Parsing syslog from linux rsyslog

(Can) #1

Hi,

I setup ELK stack on my centos machine. In addition, I'm getting syslogs from rsyslog of another centos, So I can see it with "tcpdump" but I wanna see that on Kibana. I think my problem is "logstash.conf file".
I couldn't configurate correctly. So how should I configurate my logstash.conf file? Are there any example ? I couldn't find it. Please some help.

Thanks a lot for any interest.

Best regards.

(Mark Walkom) #2

It'd help if you could post what you have set in your config already.

(Orgito) #3

I simply configure rsyslog to forward data to logstash using RSYSLOG_ForwardFormat template

action(type="omfwd" target="logstash-ip" port="51400" protocol="udp" template="RSYSLOG_ForwardFormat")

and my logstash.conf input is configured like that:

input {
    syslog {
      type => "syslog"
      port => 51400
     }
 }

(Can) #4

Also I need to some filter conf?

(Magnus Bäck) #5

Here's an example from the Logstash documentation that should be very close to what you need: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/current/config-examples.html#_processing_syslog_messages

(Can) #6

I already tried that one. Unfortunately it doesn't work

(Magnus Bäck) #7

If you can be a bit more specific than "it doesn't work" maybe someone will help you.

• What, exactly, have you tried?
  • What result do you get?
  • What result did you expect?

(Can) #8

Actually, I tried that conf;

input {
tcp {
port => 514
type => syslog
}
udp {
port => 514
type => syslog
}
}

filter {
if [type] == "syslog" {
grok {
match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }
add_field => [ "received_at", "%{@timestamp}" ]
add_field => [ "received_from", "%{host}" ]
}
syslog_pri { }
date {
match => [ "syslog_timestamp", "MMM d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
}
}
}

output {
elasticsearch { host => localhost }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Whats wrong with me ?

Also I looked with "tcpdump" and syslogs are coming. I can know that. But its not parsing.. I couldn't see on Kibana

(Magnus Bäck) #9

But that's not quite the configuration from the example; you're using port 514 instead of port 5000. Unless you're running Logstash as root (or use a workaround) that won't work and Logstash should be complaining about this in the log.

(Can) #10

I already changed LS_USER from etc/sysconfig/logstash, I put LS_USER=root , it was "LS_USER=logstash". When I tried before this changing, service of logstash exited. But now
service of logstash is runnning.

You mean that its still a problem?

(Magnus Bäck) #11

Again, you need to read Logstash's logs. You may have to crank up the loglevel by adding --verbose or --debug to the Logstash command which also can be done via /etc/sysconfig/logstash.

(Can) #12

Actually I didn't understand how to do that? Could you give me more details to what I should do exactly? I hope that I will solve my problem with your advice.

(Magnus Bäck) #13

Change the

#LS_OPTS=""

line to e.g.

LS_OPTS="--verbose"

(Can) #14

I tried that one too. But I still couldn't see on Kibana. Syslogs are not coming to Kibana ? Here I copied my file of "/etc/sysconfig/logstash"
Please check for me, I don't know I need to change something more? , I'm confused about that.
Thanks for your interest and helping me

###############################
# Default settings for logstash
###############################

# Override Java location
#JAVACMD=/usr/bin/java

# Set a home directory
#LS_HOME=/var/lib/logstash

# Arguments to pass to logstash agent
LS_OPTS="--verbose"

# Arguments to pass to java
#LS_HEAP_SIZE="500m"
#LS_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.io.tmpdir=$HOME"

# pidfiles aren't used for upstart; this is for sysv users.
#LS_PIDFILE=/var/run/logstash.pid

# user id to be invoked as; for upstart: edit /etc/init/logstash.conf
LS_USER=root

# logstash logging
#LS_LOG_FILE=/var/log/logstash/logstash.log
#LS_USE_GC_LOGGING="true"

# logstash configuration directory
#LS_CONF_DIR=/etc/logstash/conf.d

# Open file limit; cannot be overridden in upstart
#LS_OPEN_FILES=16384

# Nice level
#LS_NICE=19

# If this is set to 1, then when `stop` is called, if the process has
# not exited within a reasonable time, SIGKILL will be sent next.
# The default behavior is to simply log a message "program stop failed; still running"
KILL_ON_STOP_TIMEOUT=0

(Magnus Bäck) #15

And what do the Logstash logs contain after you've changed LS_OPTS and restarted Logstash? You might also want to check whether Logstash is actually listing on port 514. Use e.g. netstat for that.

(Can) #16

I checked "netstat" so port 514 is listening. Also when I looked "tcpdump", syslogs are coming. I can see that. My problem is parsing but I dont know why our conf doesn't work.

(Magnus Bäck) #17

Are the messages actually reaching Logstash? If you disable the elasticsearch output for now to simplify the system, are you getting output to stdout (probably connected to /var/log/logstash/logstash.stdout or similar)? What if you re-enable the elasticsearch output?

(Can) #18

There is a lot of logs but why kibana doesn't show it?

(Magnus Bäck) #19

That's what I'm trying to help you figure out, but if you don't answer my questions I can't help you.

(Can) #20

Yes, the messages are reaching Logstash. You said that "disable the elastic search" which means in the logstash.conf file, about output now ;

output{
   elasticsearch { host => localhost }
}

You mean that changing like this?

output{
    }

after that trying again to kibana?

or just disable elasticsearch.service like this ?
systemctl disable elasticsearch