PFsense 2.3.3 and ELK

After I successfully integrated the logs from my Synology. I now go over to my pfsense. There a some tutorials out in the www. Unfortunately none of them is working properly or just with old versions.

I'm following the tutorial from: http://pfelk.3ilson.com/

At the moment I recieve the logs in the ELK stack but not parsed correctly. The biggest problem is probably the eventid.

filter {  
  if "PFSense" in [tags] {
    grok {
      add_tag => [ "firewall" ]
      match => [ "message", "<(?<evtid>.*)>(?<datetime>(?:Jan(?:uary)?|Feb(?:ruary)?|Mar(?:ch)?|Apr(?:il)?|May|Jun(?:e)?|Jul(?:y)?|Aug(?:ust)?|Sep(?:tember)?|Oct(?:ober)?|Nov(?:ember)?|Dec(?:ember)?)\s+(?:(?:0[1-9])|(?:[12][0-9])|(?:3[01])|[1-9]) (?:2[0123]|[01]?[0-9]):(?:[0-5][0-9]):(?:[0-5][0-9])) (?<prog>.*?): (?<msg>.*)" ]
    }
    mutate {
      gsub => ["datetime","  "," "]
    }
    date {
      match => [ "datetime", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      timezone => "America/New_York"
    }
    mutate {
      replace => [ "message", "%{msg}" ]
    }
    mutate {
      remove_field => [ "msg", "datetime" ]
    }
}
if [prog] =~ /^filterlog$/ {  
    mutate {
      remove_field => [ "msg", "datetime" ]
    }
    grok {
      patterns_dir => "/etc/logstash/conf.d/patterns"
      match => [ "message", "%{PFSENSE_LOG_DATA}%{PFSENSE_IP_SPECIFIC_DATA}%{PFSENSE_IP_DATA}%{PFSENSE_PROTOCOL_DATA}",
         "message", "%{PFSENSE_LOG_DATA}%{PFSENSE_IPv4_SPECIFIC_DATA_ECN}%{PFSENSE_IP_DATA}%{PFSENSE_PROTOCOL_DATA}" ]
    }
    mutate {
      lowercase => [ 'proto' ]
    }
    geoip {
      add_tag => [ "GeoIP" ]
      source => "src_ip"
      # Optional GeoIP database

# Comment out the below if you do not wise to utilize and omit last three steps dealing with (recommended) suffix
      database => "/etc/logstash/GeoLite2-City.mmdb"
    }
  }
}

I made a picture from the view in Kibana at the moment. I tried with: BASE10NUM but that doesn't work.

Can someone help me. This is going to be more difficult I think. But I have all the grok patterns from the tutorial and config. Maybe I just have to make a few adjustments.

(Mark Walkom) #2

This is a bit of a messy grok pattern. Why not use the inbuilt time patterns?

(Magnus Bäck) #3

It looks like you have a kv filter somewhere that creates a field named <134>Apr 27 20. Start by fixing that.

Next time save your screenshots and PNG instead of JPEG to make them more readable.

warkolm, inbuilt time patterns, what do you mean with that?

Can you do an example?

@Magnus I have checked it again. I can't see any KV filter in the whole code. Did you look at the website I mentioned? I use the same code as he does.

(Magnus Bäck) #5

warkolm, inbuilt time patterns, what do you mean with that?

He's talking about the stock grok patterns that ship with Logstash, for example these: https://github.com/logstash-plugins/logstash-patterns-core/blob/master/patterns/grok-patterns

I have checked it again. I can't see any KV filter in the whole code.

What about the rest of your configuration? What's the result of grep kv /etc/logstash/conf.d?

What about the rest of your configuration? What's the result of grep kv /etc/logstash/conf.d?
When i do that, i recieve: No file or folder has been found?

I checked if there is any KV filter in the files but I can't find anything. Any other ideas? I will check that today in the evening what warkolm is writing.

I found the problem after hours of searching and trying. If there is someone else who needs with Pfsense 2.3+ and CentOS 7 on ELK Stack 5.2+ you can contact me here or go to my website. I'm going to publish there soon a tutorial for CentOS and ELK. www.hs-x.ch

(system) #8

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.