Pipeline Raise Exception from Filter

Dear All,

I've an issue with the pipeline that it keep raise on exception because of filter issue. If I restarted the Logstash it work fine until it raise exception after sometime

I'm not sure exactly what could be the problem except that I did a crontab to reboot logstash each 3 hours which is yet raising the exception even more than before and I'm not sure what could cause this issue. Below is from the logs I would appreciate if someone could help me out with a solution cause we rely on this

logstash_1_3beb8355d52f | [2018-12-05T08:42:42,192][ERROR][logstash.pipeline ] Exception in pipelineworker, the pipeline stopped processing new events, please check your filter configuration and restart Logstash. {:pipeline_id=>"main", "exception"=>"-1", "backtrace"=>["java.util.ArrayList.elementData(ArrayList.java:422)", "java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:499)", "org.logstash.FieldReference.parse(FieldReference.java:167)", "org.logstash.FieldReference.parseToCache(FieldReference.java:142)", "org.logstash.FieldReference.from(FieldReference.java:74)", "org.logstash.ext.JrubyEventExtLibrary$RubyEvent.ruby_set_field(JrubyEventExtLibrary.java:88)", "usr.share.logstash.vendor.bundle.jruby.$2_dot_3_dot_0.gems.logstash_minus_filter_minus_kv_minus_4_dot_1_dot_1.lib.logstash.filters.kv.RUBY$block$filter$2(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/logstash-filter-kv-4.1.1/lib/logstash/filters/kv.rb:399)", "org.jruby.runtime.CompiledIRBlockBody.yieldDirect(CompiledIRBlockBody.java:156)", "org.jruby.runtime.BlockBody.yield(BlockBody.java:114)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.yield(Block.java:165)", "org.jruby.RubyHash$12.visit(RubyHash.java:1362)", "org.jruby.RubyHash$12.visit(RubyHash.java:1359)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.visitLimited(RubyHash.java:662)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.visitAll(RubyHash.java:647)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.iteratorVisitAll(RubyHash.java:1319)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.each_pairCommon(RubyHash.java:1354)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.each(RubyHash.java:1343)", "usr.share.logstash.vendor.bundle.jruby.$2_dot_3_dot_0.gems.logstash_minus_filter_minus_kv_minus_4_dot_1_dot_1.lib.logstash.filters.kv.RUBY$method$filter$0(/usr/share/logstash/vendor/bundle/jruby/2.3.0/gems/logstash-filter-kv-4.1.1/lib/logstash/filters/kv.rb:399)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.filters.base.RUBY$method$do_filter$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:145)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.filters.base.RUBY$block$multi_filter$1(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:164)", "org.jruby.runtime.CompiledIRBlockBody.yieldDirect(CompiledIRBlockBody.java:156)", "org.jruby.runtime.BlockBody.yield(BlockBody.java:114)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.yield(Block.java:165)", "org.jruby.RubyArray.each(RubyArray.java:1734)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.filters.base.RUBY$method$multi_filter$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filters/base.rb:161)", "usr.share.logstash.logstash_minus_core.lib.logstash.filter_delegator.RUBY$method$multi_filter$0(/usr/share/logstash/logstash-core/lib/logstash/filter_delegator.rb:47)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.CompiledIRMethod.call(CompiledIRMethod.java:103)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.MixedModeIRMethod.call(MixedModeIRMethod.java:163)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.DynamicMethod.call(DynamicMethod.java:200)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:161)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:314)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.StartupInterpreterEngine.interpret(StartupInterpreterEngine.java:73)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.Interpreter.INTERPRET_BLOCK(Interpreter.java:132)", "org.jruby.runtime.MixedModeIRBlockBody.commonYieldPath(MixedModeIRBlockBody.java:148)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.doYield(IRBlockBody.java:186)", "org.jruby.runtime.BlockBody.yield(BlockBody.java:116)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.yield(Block.java:165)", "org.jruby.RubyArray.each(RubyArray.java:1734)", "org.jruby.RubyArray$INVOKER$i$0$0$each.call(RubyArray$INVOKER$i$0$0$each.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodZeroBlock.call(JavaMethod.java:498)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.callBlock(CachingCallSite.java:77)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:83)", "org.jruby.ir.instructions.CallBase.interpret(CallBase.java:428)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:355)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.StartupInterpreterEngine.interpret(StartupInterpreterEngine.java:73)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.Interpreter.INTERPRET_BLOCK(Interpreter.java:132)", "org.jruby.runtime.MixedModeIRBlockBody.commonYieldPath(MixedModeIRBlockBody.java:148)", "org.jruby.runtime.IRBlockBody.call(IRBlockBody.java:73)", "org.jruby.runtime.Block.call(Block.java:124)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call(RubyProc.java:289)", "org.jruby.RubyProc.call19(RubyProc.java:273)", "org.jruby.RubyProc$INVOKER$i$0$0$call19.call(RubyProc$INVOKER$i$0$0$call19.gen)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.DynamicMethod.call(DynamicMethod.java:204)", "org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.DynamicMethod.call(DynamicMethod.java:200)", "org.jruby.runtime.callsite.CachingCallSite.call(CachingCallSite.java:161)", "org.jruby.ir.interpreter.InterpreterEngine.processCall(InterpreterEngine.java:314)",

Looks like a crash in the kv filter. You're using version 4.1.1. the latest is 4.2.1 which has a few bug fixes that could be causing your crash. I suggest you update the plugin to the latest version. See the logstash docs here for info on updating the filter plugins.

Dear bigphil,

Many hanks for you reply, I did Updated logstash-filter-kv 4.1.1 to 4.2.1.

I will disable the crontab and observe the pipeline for the next 24 hours and if there any improvement I will let you know.

One more thing, do I need to upgrade any other plugins or its the Filter KV only?

Unless you have a reason not to update the other plugins, I'd update them all.

Dear bigphill,

I'm very sorry for taking time replying, I was busy with other stuff.

Anyway, I have updated all plugins as your advice, disabled the cron job of rebooting the Logstash container. and since that time the pipeline did not crash :slight_smile:

Regards

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.