Problem getting logstash started

Hi,

I am a newbie and trying to use the stack of Elastic Search, Logstash and Kibana working together to parse the apache log file and visualize it.
I started with this URL - https://www.elastic.co/downloads/logstash where in I downloaded logstash and unzipped it on windows.

As per the steps mentioned, I configured a config file name " logstash-simple.conf" and placed it in root directory of logstash. The file has the following content

input { stdin { } }
output {
elasticsearch { hosts => ["localhost:9200"] }
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
}

Post that i executed the following command from bin directory-
logstash -f logstash-simple.conf

However, it gives me an error saying:

An unexpected error occurred! :error => bad URI(is not URI?): file://D:/Software
s/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/config/log4j2.properties, :backtrace => ["
D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/uri/c
ommon.rb:176:in split'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vend or/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/uri/common.rb:210:inparse'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitorin
g Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/uri/common.rb:747:in parse'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vendor/jruby/lib/ruby/1.9/uri/ common.rb:994:inURI'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/logst
ash-core/lib/logstash/logging/logger.rb:76:in initialize'", "org/jruby/ext/thre ad/Mutex.java:149:insynchronize'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash
-5.2.0/logstash-core/lib/logstash/logging/logger.rb:74:in initialize'", "D:/Sof twares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb: 198:inexecute'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vendor/bund
le/jruby/1.9/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:67:in run'", "D:/Softwares/L og Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/logstash-core/lib/logstash/runner.rb:183:in
run'", "D:/Softwares/Log Monitoring Stack/logstash-5.2.0/vendor/bundle/jruby/1.9
/gems/clamp-0.6.5/lib/clamp/command.rb:132:in run'", "D:\\Softwares\\Log Monito ring Stack\\logstash-5.2.0\\lib\\bootstrap\\environment.rb:71:in(root)'"]

I am not sure how to get logstash working. Can someone suggest step by step how can I configure logstash?

Thanks in advance.
Saurabh

Try removing spaces in the path that LS us running under.

Thanks for your reply. I removed the spaces from the path wheer logstash is installed. After that executed the following command again and this time it worked.
logstash -f logstash-simple.conf

However, I needed to place the config file in BIN folder so that it gets picked up.

Saurabh

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.