Problem With timestamp and timezone

Hello all,

I'm running into some problems when I'm trying to enrich data using input jdbc and filter jdbc_streaming.

This is my conf file

input {
	jdbc {
		jdbc_connection_string => "connectionString"
		jdbc_user => "user"
		jdbc_password => "password"
		jdbc_driver_library => "postgresql-42.2.2.jar"
		jdbc_driver_class => "org.postgresql.Driver"
		connection_retry_attempts => "3"
		connection_retry_attempts_wait_time => "10"
		statement => "SELECT offer_item_id ||'-'|| TO_CHAR(pubofr_dhs_deb,'YYYYMMDDHHMISS') AS id, offer_item_id AS offeritemid, pubofr_dhs_deb AS validitybegindate, pubofr_dhs_end AS validityenddate FROM t_offer_item"
		jdbc_default_timezone => "UTC"
	}
}

filter {

jdbc_streaming {
		jdbc_connection_string => "connectionString"
		jdbc_user => "user"
		jdbc_password => "password"
		jdbc_driver_library => "postgresql-42.2.2.jar"
		jdbc_driver_class => "org.postgresql.Driver"
		statement => "SELECT offer_item_id AS relativeofferid, pubofr_dhs_deb as begindate FROM t_offer_item_assoc WHERE offer_item_id_assoc = :offerId AND pubofr_dhs_deb_assoc = :offerDate"
		parameters => {
			"offerId" => "offeritemid" 
			"offerDate" => "validitybegindate"
			}
		target => "[relativeOffers]"
	}

}

output {
	elasticsearch{
		index => "activeoffers_idx"
		action => "create"
		document_type => "activeoffers"
		document_id => "%{id}"
		hosts => "elasticsearchHost"
	}
}

My problem is the following, if I have the property "jdbc_default_timezone" set and have a field of type timestamp on the query of the jdbc_streaming i get this error:

Exception in pipelineworker, the pipeline stopped processing new events, please check your filter configuration and restart Logstash. 
{:pipeline_id=>"main", "exception"=>"Missing Converter handling for full class name=org.jruby.RubyObjectVar3, simple name=RubyObjectVar3", "backtrace"=>
["org.logstash.Valuefier.fallbackConvert(Valuefier.java:97)",
"org.logstash.Valuefier.convert(Valuefier.java:75)", 
"org.logstash.ConvertedMap$1.visit(ConvertedMap.java:35)", 
"org.logstash.ConvertedMap$1.visit(ConvertedMap.java:29)", 
"org.jruby.RubyHash.visitLimited(RubyHash.java:662)", "org.jruby.RubyHash.visitAll(RubyHash.java:647)", 
"org.logstash.ConvertedMap.newFromRubyHash(ConvertedMap.java:69)", 
"org.logstash.ConvertedMap.newFromRubyHash(ConvertedMap.java:64)", 
"org.logstash.Valuefier.lambda$initConverters$11(Valuefier.java:142)", 
"org.logstash.Valuefier.convert(Valuefier.java:73)", 
"org.logstash.ConvertedList.newFromRubyArray(ConvertedList.java:44)", 
"org.logstash.Valuefier.lambda$initConverters$15(Valuefier.java:154)", 
"org.logstash.Valuefier.fallbackConvert(Valuefier.java:94)", 
"org.logstash.Valuefier.convert(Valuefier.java:75)", 
"org.logstash.ext.JrubyEventExtLibrary$RubyEvent.ruby_set_field(JrubyEventExtLibrary.java:99)", 
"org.logstash.ext.JrubyEventExtLibrary$RubyEvent$INVOKER$i$2$0$ruby_set_field.call(JrubyEventExtLibrary$RubyEvent$INVOKER$i$2$0$ruby_set_field.gen)", 
"org.jruby.internal.runtime.methods.JavaMethod$JavaMethodN.call(JavaMethod.java:741)", 
"org.jruby.ir.targets.InvokeSite.invoke(InvokeSite.java:145)",

If I remove the jdbc_default_timezone property, events are processed with no problem, but i need the property there so the dates match.

Any help is welcome,
Thanks in advance.

This looks like a valid bug. The query execution is producing Ruby object that is not supported.

Can you open a full bug report on the JDBC Input Plugin, including:

• the version of Logstash (bin/logstash --version),
  • the version of the Logstash JDBC Input Plugin (bin/logstash-plugin list --verbose logstash-input-jdbc),
  • the type of database you're connecting to,
  • a link to the database driver library

In the mean-time, you may be able to get around the bug by casting the date-type field(s) to another type in your SQL query (e.g., to a string, which could then be parsed with the date filter).

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I opened the issue, you can find it here

Hello again,

i'm trying to work around the problem by casting the date in my sql to string, but I can't make it work for all events.

I use a jdbc streaming to get a list but i can't parse all elements of the list.

If i use the date filter like this:

date {
		match => [ "begindate", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
		target => "begindate"
	}

nothing happens.
the only way i could make it partially work was having the date filter like this

date {
		match => [ "[relativeOffers][0][begindate]", "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
		target => "[relativeOffers][0][begindate]"
	}

but this only changes the first element and i can't repeat this for all elements cos I don't know the number of elements I get from the jdbc streaming.

Is there a way to parse all the elements on the list?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.