Remote Filebeat can't send logs to Logstash

Hello.

I'm having some problems understanding how to connect a filebeat from another server to my ELK server.
I have a filebeat running on the ELK server with no issue and kibana is showing me all the logs needed, but I constantly get errors from my remote filebeat logs.

Here is the log in question

ERROR   pipeline/output.go:100  Failed to connect to backoff(async(tcp://<ELKIP>:5044)): lookup <ELKIP> on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:51277->[::1]:53: read: connection refused

Here is my logstash config

input {
  beats {
    port => 5044
    ssl =>false
  }
}
    filter {
  if [fileset][module] == "system" {
    if [fileset][name] == "auth" {
      grok {
        match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][$
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]$
                  "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][auth][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system][auth][hostname]$
        pattern_definitions => {
          "GREEDYMULTILINE"=> "(.|\n)*"
        }
        remove_field => "message"
      }
      date {
        match => [ "[system][auth][timestamp]", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      }
      geoip {
        source => "[system][auth][ssh][ip]"
        target => "[system][auth][ssh][geoip]"
      }
    }
    else if [fileset][name] == "syslog" {
      grok {
        match => { "message" => ["%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:[system][syslog][timestamp]} %{SYSLOGHOST:[system$
        pattern_definitions => { "GREEDYMULTILINE" => "(.|\n)*" }
        remove_field => "message"
      }
      date {
        match => [ "[system][syslog][timestamp]", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss" ]
      }
    }
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch {
    hosts => ["127.0.0.1:9200"]
    manage_template => false
    index => "%{[@metadata][beat]}-%{[@metadata][version]}-%{+YYYY.MM.dd}"
  }
}

And here are the two filebeat

the one local to the ELK server

output.logstash:
hosts: ["localhost:5044"]

the remote one

output.logstash:
hosts: ["<ELKIP>:5044"]

All the rest was not modified and the local filebeat works.

I can also ping and telnet to 5044 to ELK server from remote server.

(Pier-Hugues Pellerin) #2

@Wellguys Is there any errors in the Logstash logs?

No problem from Logstash. From its perspective there is just one filebeat sending him data.

I started all over again and found the problem. I had to disable SSL for logstash or remote filebeat could not access without the correct certificate.