Retrieve the complete document after search

Hi, with appsearch the result field has the limit of 1000 characters. But there is a way to open the complete document after that? Can I open then the whole document with seach-ui?

thanks

Results have "raw" and "snippet" values. You should be able to get the complete field values from the "raw" field: Search API result fields | Elastic App Search Documentation [7.15] | Elastic

Thanks a lot :wink:

@JasonStoltz ok, I could retrieve the raw, but if the document indexed has more than 1000 characters I couldn't read it completely as the limit for raw is also 1000 characters as the snippet.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I apologize for the misinformation :grimacing:

That appears to be a hard limit as well. You could probably fetch the entire document with the Documents API: Documents API | Elastic App Search Documentation [7.15] | Elastic.

Just be aware that that API is only accessible with a "private" API key which you would not want to expose in plain text.

Thanks Jason. So the way to see the complete document after search (document of more than a thousand characters) would be through a backend that handles that private key in a way that is not exposed?

I think so, yes.

You could also consider breaking that field up into multiple different fields before indexing and concatenate them back together when rendering results?