Ruby filter processes events in incorrect order

Here is my test configuration
I create a simple list of events like below, the events are numbered according to their order of appearance

2016-12-06 07:00:00,251 event1
2016-12-06 07:00:10,651 event2
2016-12-06 07:02:00,251 event3
2016-12-06 07:05:00,451 event4

In the ruby filter, I define a global variable $messageNo to keep track the number of event

ruby {
code => "
unless defined? $messageNo;
$messageNo = 0
end
$messageNo += 1;
event.set('messageNo', $messageNo);
"
}

In the end, I insert the processed events in Elasticsearch

output {
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
index => "message_index"
}
}

But looking at the results in Elasticsearch (pictures attached), the events are not processed in order in Ruby. In the pictures, you can see 'event1' has messageNo 4 while 'event3' has messageNo 1.

This is correct, Logstash filters are batch oriented and threaded, there is no way to guarantee order in which they are processed

1 Like

This is a problem to me :frowning: I must find a way to process them in sequence

Why not just use the time stamp? As an order mechanism?

yes, the @timestamp field is in order, but I'm thinking how to control the order in which Ruby script processes those events.

What are you trying to accomplish? you will have to write some other tool as Logstash is not going to be able to do what you want. I think you may have to rethink how to get what you need.

Have you tried setting the number of pipeline workers to one?

1 Like

Thank you, it works !! Reducing the number of workers to 1 allows it to process the events in sequence :slight_smile:
I also find a good tutorial about creating a custom filter to keep track of the event order - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23920655/include-monotonically-increasing-value-in-logstash-field/23921517#23921517

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.