Setting host.hostname mapping to static

ECE 2.3
Metricbeat 7.0.0 & 7.5.0

I need some guidance on how to stop the dynamic templating for host.hostname of our metricbeats. We've got a third party product that can only read data from the host.hostname field if the mapping is the same as metricbeat 7.0.0. From the dev tools I got part of the host.hostname mapping and as you can see its just has a "type" of "keyword".

        "host" : {
          "properties" : {
            "architecture" : {
              "type" : "keyword",
              "ignore_above" : 1024
            },
            "containerized" : {
              "type" : "boolean"
            },
            "geo" : {
              "properties" : {
                "city_name" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "continent_name" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "country_iso_code" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "country_name" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "location" : {
                  "type" : "geo_point"
                },
                "name" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "region_iso_code" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                },
                "region_name" : {
                  "type" : "keyword",
                  "ignore_above" : 1024
                }
              }
            },
            "group" : {
              "type" : "keyword"
            },
            "hostname" : {
              "type" : "keyword",
              "ignore_above" : 1024
            },

I've tried to load the 7.0.0 template manually and apply it to metricbeat-7.5.0 so that the application can read the data. What I'm having problems with is that the host.hostname field is being mapped as a text field and keyword field it appears which is preventing the app from reading the data correctly. How do I set the mapping up so that hostname is just type keyword and not text.

      "host": {
        "properties": {
          "architecture": {
            "type": "text",
            "fields": {
              "keyword": {
                "type": "keyword",
                "ignore_above": 256
              }
            }
          },
          "containerized": {
            "type": "boolean"
          },
          "group": {
            "type": "keyword"
          },
          "hostname": {
            "type": "text",
            "fields": {
              "keyword": {
                "type": "keyword",
                "ignore_above": 256
              }
            }
          },

To update this a little bit both of the templates have the hostname section setup as

},
          "hostname": {
            "ignore_above": 1024,
            "type": "keyword"
          },

The problem seems to be when metricbeat 7.5.0 starts sending data to the index it automatically changes it to

 "hostname": {
            "type": "text",
            "fields": {
              "keyword": {
                "type": "keyword",
                "ignore_above": 256
              }
            }
          },

Which is why the program can't read it.

Seems like something is adding the fields portion to every field but I'm not sure where its coming from.

{
 "mapping": {
  "properties": {
   "@timestamp": {
    "type": "date"
   },
   "@version": {
    "type": "text",
    "fields": {
     "keyword": {
      "type": "keyword",
      "ignore_above": 256
     }
    }
   },
   "agent": {
    "properties": {
     "ephemeral_id": {
      "type": "text",
      "fields": {
       "keyword": {
        "type": "keyword",
        "ignore_above": 256
       }
      }
     },
     "hostname": {
      "type": "text",
      "fields": {
       "keyword": {
        "type": "keyword",
        "ignore_above": 256
       }
      }
     }....

The problem seems to be using an alias for metricbeat. If I don't create an alias for metricbeat-7.5.0 the mapping is correct. If I apply an alias to an index I the mapping adds the extra field.

What I've done is stop all reporting 7.5 metricbeats and delete the metricbeat-7.5.0-2020.01.03 index. From there I ran the command below to setup an index with date math that has the alias metricbeat-7.5.0.

PUT /%3Cmetricbeat-7.5.0-%7Bnow%2Fd%7D-000001%3E
{
 "aliases": {
  "metricbeat-7.5.0": {
   "is_write_index": true
 }
 }
}

When this setup occurs the mapping changes which is causing the issue for our 3rd party program.

I'm running into a second issue with this. What seems to be happening and what I can't figure out is why a template for metricbeat-7.3.0 keeps coming up when the only beats reporting to this cluster are either 7.0 or 7.5.

Thank you for posting something like this My Wegmans Connect

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.