[SOLVED] Forcing a static year to date timestamps

Hi,

I'm trying to take a timestamp from a log and force it to use the year 2015 since the log files do not originally include the year. Here's an example log entry:

LOG: 06/02 15:24:03:643 1 Check for updates

In my initial grok I do a %{TIMESTAMP:timestamp} which is a custom pattern of following:

%{MONTHNUM2}\/%{MONTHDAY} %{TIME}

I now need to add year to it. I've tried the following without success even though --config-test doesn't error:

mutate {
		add_field => { "timestamp" => "2015 %{timestamp}" }
		}

date {
		match => [ "timestamp", "YYYY MM/dd HH:mm:ss:SSS" ]
		}

Debug logs show it does not add the 2015 to the timestamp field:

{:timestamp=>"2016-02-04T07:05:52.443000-0500", :message=>"Failed parsing date from field", :field=>"timestamp", :value=>"02/17 14:41:36:848", :exception=>"Invalid format: \"02/17 14:41:36:848\" is malformed at \"/17 14:41:36:848\"", :config_parsers=>"YYYY MM/dd HH:mm:ss:SSS", :config_locale=>"default=en_US", :level=>:warn}

Any ideas? Thanks!

Btw, I want to add that the strange thing is that it does appear to be successful, and I see in Kibana the results that everything is forced 2015. However it still tags with grokparsefailure and dateparsefailure and it floods the logs.

So what does the timestamp field look like? Output from stdout { codec => rubydebug } would be useful.

(I suspect the problem is that you're using add_field instead of replace.)

Gosh, not sure how I missed that one! Thanks! Did the trick just fine.