Timeout during 'Creating Admin Console' phase when installing ECE 1.0.1

The 'Creating Admin Console Elasticsearch backend {}' phase times out after 10 minutes with the following error:

-- An error has occurred in bootstrap process. Please examine logs --
- java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [600 seconds]
-       at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:219)
-       at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:223)
-       at scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:190)
-       at scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
-       at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:190)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial.bootstrapServiceLayer(BootstrapInitial.scala:828)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial.bootstrap(BootstrapInitial.scala:609)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial$.delayedEndpoint$no$found$bootstrap$BootstrapInitial$1(BootstrapInitial.scala:1153)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial$delayedInit$body.apply(BootstrapInitial.scala:1147)
-       at scala.Function0$class.apply$mcV$sp(Function0.scala:34)
-       at scala.runtime.AbstractFunction0.apply$mcV$sp(AbstractFunction0.scala:12)
-       at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76)
-       at scala.App$$anonfun$main$1.apply(App.scala:76)
-       at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:381)
-       at scala.collection.generic.TraversableForwarder$class.foreach(TraversableForwarder.scala:35)
-       at scala.App$class.main(App.scala:76)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial$.main(BootstrapInitial.scala:1147)
-       at no.found.bootstrap.BootstrapInitial.main(BootstrapInitial.scala)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Errors have caused Elastic Cloud Enterprise installation to fail - Please check logs
  Node type - initial
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..however the success screen is shown immediately after:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elastic Cloud Enterprise installation completed successfully

Ready to copy down some important information and keep it safe?

To access the Cloud UI:
http://10.0.75.11:12400
https://10.0.75.11:12443

I'm able to get into the admin console, although I've got another issue once in there that may be related (raised separately under [URL]).

I ran the install script with the --debug argument - bootstrap.log uploaded to https://1drv.ms/u/s!Argl0mjth4UG6g34my17pu8VOD9C.

Environment is a Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS VM running under HyperV on Windows 10.

Hi Fraser,

according to logs you attached, the installation process fails because of timeout creating an Elasticsearch cluster that backs the Admin console.
From my experience, it can happen because of slow connection to our docker repository:
installer requests a cluster to be created and starts waiting. Meantime, an allocator service starts downloading images to create a new cluster but it takes quite awhile to download ~1.5Gb image and installer fails installation before downloading is finished.

As a possible solution, I would suggest to manually download images before install:

docker pull docker.elastic.co/cloud-assets/elasticsearch:5.4.1-2
docker pull docker.elastic.co/cloud-assets/elasticsearch:2.4.5-1
docker pull docker.elastic.co/cloud-assets/kibana:5.4.1-2
docker pull docker.elastic.co/cloud-assets/kibana:4.6.4-0

Some (or all) of these images may be already downloaded to your machine (because docker keeps downloading images even if the installation failed).

Also, I would recommend deleting all running containers and clean up host-storage-path (see argument description here) before next try

Please let us know if it helps or not.

Yuri

1 Like

Thanks Yuri.

I restored my VM to a snapshot before the install attempt, pull the Docker images manually and then re-ran, now all good. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Fraser

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.