Trouble with log in UCS-2 LE BOM encoding

I'm new to filebeat. I have a log file in UCS-2 LE BOM encoding. Log entries are each their own valid JSON object, one per line.

Filebeat does not seem to like the UCS-2 LE BOM encoding. I'm seeing the following in the filebeat output:

"json": {
"error": {
  "message": "Error decoding JSON: invalid character '\\x00' looking for beginning of object key string",
  "type": "json"
}
},
"message": "{\u0000\"\u0000I\u0000D\u0000\"\u0000:\u00006\u00002\u0000,\u0000\"\u0000T\u0000r\u0000a\u0000n\u0000s\....(a lot more of this)

In the filebeat.yml config file, I've tried all of the following. The result is the same with all of them.

encoding: utf-16
encoding: utf-16-bom
encoding: utf-16le-bom

If I use Notepad++ and convert the file to UTF-8 encoding, then filebeat has no trouble reading the file with this config setting:

encoding: utf-8

However, our logging process that writes to the log file then chokes after the conversion to UTF-8.

This is filebeat 7.3.0 on Windows Server 2016 reading a local log file. Any help would be much appreciated.

I was able to work with one of the developers so they could write logs successfully to the UTF-8 encoded version of the log file, which filebeat successfully reads.

I was never able to solve the issue with filebeat successfully reading the log file in UCS-2 LE BOM encoding.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

For anyone hitting the same issue, the problem is probably caused by not adding the encoding under an input section. It needs to look like this to work:

- module: mssql
  # Fileset for native deployment
  log:
    enabled: true
    var.paths: ["Path to Server Logs"]
    input:
        encoding: utf-16le-bom
1 Like