Trying to calculate differences between 2 timestamps

input {
  generator {
    message => "Jul 24 03:35:03 myhost metricbeat: 2020-07-24T03:35:03.788Z#011INFO#011[publisher]#011pipeline/retry.go:225#011  done"
    count => 1
  }
}

filter {

grok {
    match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:event_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }
  }

# create a date object from our matched field above
  date {
    match => ["event_timestamp", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss"]
    target => ["event_timestamp"]
  }

math {
    calculate => [
      [ "sub", "[@timestamp]", [event_timestamp], "[lag]" ]
    ]
  }
}

output { stdout { codec => rubydebug } }

I think it's always nice to ask an actual question in a post. Anyway, you can do that easily with a Ruby filter:

ruby {
  code => 'event.set("lag", event.get("@timestamp")-event.get("event_timestamp"))' 
}
1 Like

Really not sure why you feel so entitled to tell others how to post (in a non-DRY fashion) but am grateful for your solution. I forgot all about the move to get and set methods.

Thank you.

I didn't mean to sound entitled. I just tried to say that, if you want others to take time to help you, it would be nice if one opened the post and there was more than just a wall of code. Maybe even an explanation what you tried and what happened.

It's all good. Thanks for helping me out of a jam. I owe you a bagel.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.