Understand a span detail

If you are asking about a problem you are experiencing, please use the following template, as it will help us help you. If you have a different problem, please delete all of this text :slight_smile:

Kibana version: 7.3.1

Elasticsearch version: 7.3.1

APM Server version: 7.3.1

APM Agent language and version: Java Agent 1.9.0

Hi,

I have configured APM in our Test env. What i am seeing is this one span with "span.name: Requesting and receiving the document" consuming almost 50% time for any page-load event.

But i am not able to get the detail inside the span ....
Could you please help me to know, what exactly happening in this span? why it is taking so much time ??

Hi @rijash,

Thanks for reaching out.

The span Requesting and receiving the document is created automatically by the agent using the Navigation timing API. It includes the time for downloading the initial html document. Specifically it shows the time between performance.timing.requestStart and performance.timing.responseEnd. There could be a few reasons why downloading the initial document might take a long time, one possibility could be that the html document is being generated dynamically and it takes longer than expected.

I've also created this issue to provide more documentation in regards to automatically generated spans!

Cheers,
Hamid

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.