Updating existing mapping to add custom analyzer in Elasticsearch 6.7

Hello,

I have an existing index on Elasticsearch 6.7 that I would like to update the mappings on. On a test instance of Elasticsearch 6.7, I set up the index with the mapping and attempted a PUT call to update the mapping. However, I'm running into this error:

{"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"mapper_parsing_exception","reason":"analyzer [street1_analyzer] not found for field [no_stop_words]"}],"type":"mapper_parsing_exception","reason":"analyzer [street1_analyzer] not found for field [no_stop_words]"},"status":400}

Is adding a custom analyzer and using it in a multi-field (of an existing property) not supported when updating an existing index? So far, I've only found these restrictions on the ES documentation that closest matches the version of Elasticsearch that I am running.

I did a separate test where I created a new index with the mapping updates that I want from scratch (with the same multi-fields and analyzers), and I was successful in doing that. So I'm not sure if this is a restriction or there is some other error.

Additionally, if you add a multi-field that is analyzed differently to an index with a lot of existing documents, does it suffer any performance issues when using that multi-field? How does Elasticsearch treat that data?

I'm going to guess that the answer on this post still applies for version 6.7.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.