Upgrade Logstash Elasticsearch output plugin without updating Logstash core

Hello!

We using 5.1.2 version of Elastic stack (Logstash, Kibana, Elastic).
And now we need to dead letter queue feature.

The best way i see - upgrade only elasticsearch output plugin from Version: 5.4.0 to version Version 7.4.2.
I don't see any restrictions to do that in Docs, but upgrade on two major versions often leds to changing in core APIs or any changes without backward compatibility.

Maybe proposed way to update is OK or another way is possible?

Wasn't the dead letter queue feature added after Logstash 5.1? If so it won't matter if you'll be able to upgrade the plugin.

But more generally, if a plugin upgrade succeeds things should be fine.

The first mention of DLQ feature i have been see in 5.5 version of Elastic Stack:
https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/logstash/5.5/dead-letter-queues.html

Am i right that i can only install the new version of Elastic output plugin from 5.6 version of ELK to my Logsatsh from 5.1 version of ELK ant it fill be work?

Sorry for double check questions, because i accustomed that we should always upgrade all stack instead of upgrade some parts or plugins.

Am i right that i can only install the new version of Elastic output plugin from 5.6 version of ELK to my Logsatsh from 5.1 version of ELK ant it fill be work?

If the dead letter queue feature was introduced in Logstash 5.6 then you need Logstash 5.6.

OK, understood. Thank you!

And update of Logsatsh from 5.1.2 to 5.6 automatically leads to update Elasticsearch and Kibana.
It's hard for us, but we will think about that.

And update of Logsatsh from 5.1.2 to 5.6 automatically leads to update Elasticsearch and Kibana.
It's hard for us, but we will think about that.

Given the very weak dependencies between Logstash and ES I think such a policy is completely unnecessary and overly risk-aversive.

Big thanks for your comments!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.