Using beats to ingest facter data?

We run a centos environment and I would love to be able to bring in facter data into elastic as a means of monitoring kernel installs, host up times, ip addresses, etc. I suppose I can add a new cron to each host to print out this data into a log and have filebeat ingest it, but was wondering if there was a better way. Metricbeat pulls in a lot of similar data already and wondering if I am just missing a config setting somewhere.

Again, I could script it and deploy it to my 2,500+ servers but that's just another process to monitor and i'm already using beats. Thoughts?

There is an add_host_metadata processor that includes information like this to events.

And there is a metricset dedicated to system uptime. I usually declare this one separately in my config so that I can use a longer period as I don't require it to be reported every 10s.

metricbeat.modules:
- module: system
  metricsets: [uptime]
  period: 5m

And finally there is a Beat created by a user called factbeat that runs facter and indexes the JSON output.

Oh cool and will have to play around with that tomorrow!!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.