Using processors with modules in Filebeat

TL;DR

How do I add fields (or any processors) to the config for a preexisting module without editing the module source?

Issue

I'm attempting to add some fields to logs ingested via the system module. This is my modules.d/system.yml:

# Module: system
# Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/7.9/filebeat-module-system.html

- module: system
  # Syslog
  syslog:
    enabled: true

# Set custom paths for the log files. If left empty,
    # Filebeat will choose the paths depending on your OS.
    #var.paths:

# Add additional required fields.
    processors:
      - add_fields:
          target: ''
          fields:
            application:
              name: 'myapp'
              env: 'dev'

# Authorization logs
  auth:

# Set custom paths for the log files. If left empty,
    # Filebeat will choose the paths depending on your OS.
    #var.paths:

# Add additional required fields.
    processors:
      - add_fields:
          fields:
            application:
              name: 'myapp'
              env: 'dev'

This loads correctly, but the additional fields I add aren't available. When I look at (for example) module/system/syslog/config/syslog.yml, I see:

type: log
paths:
{{ range $i, $path := .paths }}
 - {{$path}}
{{ end }}
exclude_files: [".gz$"]
multiline:
  pattern: "^\\s"
  match: after
processors:
  - add_locale: ~
  - add_fields:
      fields:
        ecs.version: 1.5.0

which makes me question whether this is possible, without editing that file, which isn't desirable, since it gets overwritten each time I update the filebeat, whereas modules.d/system.yml does not.

So my questions are...is it possible to add fields (or any processors) to the config for a preexisting module without editing the module source, and how?

1 Like

I am having a very similar problem - Specifically that the fingerprint processor doesn't seem to be running.

Here's my modules.d/netflow.yml

# Module: netflow
# Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/7.9/filebeat-module-netflow.html

- module: netflow
  log:
    var:
      netflow_host: 0.0.0.0
      netflow_port: 2055
      processors:
        - fingerprint:
            fields: ["netflow.destination_ipv4_address","netflow.destination_transport_port","netflow.exporter.timestamp","netflow.source_ipv4_address","netflow.source_transport_port"]
            target_field: "@metadata._id"

I've done a little digging, and it seems that there is something of a disconnect as to how the modules parses/processes the inputs vs. how the type:netflow (in my case) parses

Try this - I had to put an input stanza on which the processor worked

# Module: netflow
# Docs: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/beats/filebeat/7.9/filebeat-module-netflow.html

- module: netflow
  log:
    var:
      netflow_host: 0.0.0.0
      netflow_port: 2055
    input:
      processors:
        - fingerprint:
            fields: ["netflow.destination_ipv4_address","netflow.destination_transport_port","netflow.exporter.timestamp","netflow.source_ipv4_address","netflow.source_transport_port"]
            target_field: "@metadata._id"

I'll try this - thanks. I've noticed that modules already have some processors specified (at least the system module, haven't looked at netflow). Have you noticed - does doing this override those processors, or does that data still appear?

I haven't looked at the system module much yet - I will do so shortly.

I'll be honest, I just started my elastic journey last week, and have been beating my head against some of the documentation. I hope that my struggles can help some other folks.

Frank

I'll be looking a the system module here shortly, will keep you updated. Welcome to the Elastic fellowship!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.