Hi Eyal, I'd be happy to provide some feedback!
It would be useful if you can elaborate more about the "for the most part" part - what didn't work?
- I would actually say everything we have tried seems to be working so far, I just can't say for sure that everything does!
We do see the following INFO messages often in our logs that could indicate some issue:
000005f2 SystemOut O 2020-01-15 08:16:12.450 [WebContainer : 134] INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.bci.bytebuddy.ErrorLoggingListener - com.ibm._jsp._advancedStaffSearch refers to a missing class
000005f2 SystemOut O java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot resolve type description for com.ibm._jsp._advancedStaffSearch$_advancedStaffSearchHelper
What did you have to do specifically to make it work?
- The only customization we needed was to add boot_delegation_packages to the elasticapm.properties, the list was taken from what websphere normally uses.
I'd post it here but it's 40k characters - you can find it under this websphere file: ...\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\configuration\config.ini varible org.osgi.framework.bootdelegation
Are you using a security manager or is it disabled in your environment?
Did you update any of the WAS policy files? If so- which?
What type of environment are you using- a full distributed deployment (DMGR, node-agents etc.) or standalone?
- We use the distributed ND (network deployment)
Are metrics collected properly? Traces?
- As far as we can tell they appear accurate, we have also used tomcat to run our application and the results we see are similar.
How did you install the agent?
Application servers > cmpwas01_server1 > Process definition > Java Virtual Machine
Do you use any special class-loading settings, like child-first?
- We do use child-first class loading, but the agent also loaded with the default parent-first.
Which technologies are you using (e.g. DB, HTTP clients, caches, messaging etc.)?
- Websphere + IHS on RHEL, Spring, Struts, Oracle, Hibernate ORM / Hibernate caching / Hibernate JMS queue, SAOP web services, etc...