White space breaks multi line nagate behavior

Hi,

I'm trying to send Error stack to ELK server using filebeat installed in one of my server. Following is the sample log entry.

And following is the multiline.patter I have configured,

multiline.pattern: '^\d{4}-(0?[1-9]|1[0-2])-(0?[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])'
multiline.negate: true
multiline.match: after

But when I do restart filebeat and see the result in Kibana, I can see the Error stack is separated for each line one-by-one as given below.

Question : How can I get all those Error stack in to a one single entry in Kibana ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Could you please share an example log as text, so it can be copy pasted?

test file are not allowed to upload here, anyway I have copied and pasted log entry here and , you can see image has been attached in initial question.

2018-05-02 06:45:10 | [http-nio-9092-exec-2] | 514 | INCENTIVO_CONPOS_SILVERWARE | 8f771490c9a8597e | 8f771490c9a8597e | ERROR | c.i.c.s.a.service.UserService | Error occurred while updating user in silverware: 500 Internal Server Error | {"First-Name":"Kalhandk","Last-Name":"Dino","External-User-id":"58919","Client-id":"f33e5562-b971-4895-b7d1-0161724608a0"} |

at org.springframework.web.client.DefaultResponseErrorHandler.handleError(DefaultResponseErrorHandler.java:94)
    at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.handleResponse(RestTemplate.java:641)
    at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.doExecute(RestTemplate.java:597)
    at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.execute(RestTemplate.java:557)
    at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.exchange(RestTemplate.java:475)
    at com.incentivio.connector.silverware.application.service.UserService.updateUserInSilverware(UserService.java:264)
    at com.incentivio.connector.silverware.api.UserController.updateUser(UserController.java:44)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor103.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.doInvoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:221)
    at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:136)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:110)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:832)
    at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerA`

I tested your multiline config and it seems to work. Could you enable debug logging (./filebeat -e -d "*") to see what messages are published?

Here is the Debugging information :

"@timestamp": "2018-05-02T09:20:04.073Z", "beat": { "hostname": "nodeD", "name": "nodeD", "version": "5.5.0" }, "input_type": "log", "message": "2018-05-02 08:48:10 | [http-nio-9092-exec-2] | 514 | INCENTIVO_CONPOS_SILVERWARE | 8f771490c9a8597e | 8f771490c9a8597e | ERROR | c.i.c.s.a.service.UserService | Error occurred while updating user in silverware: 500 Internal Server Error | {\"First-Name\":\"Kalhandk\",\"Last-Name\":\"Dino\",\"External-User-id\":\"58919\",\"Client-id\":\"f33e5562-b971-4895-b7d1-0161724608a0\"} |", "offset": 14587, "source": "/opt/ALLMODULESLOG/test/test.log", "type": "mixlog" }

2018-05-02T09:20:04Z DBG Publish: { "@timestamp": "2018-05-02T09:20:04.073Z", "beat": { "hostname": "nodeD", "name": "nodeD", "version": "5.5.0" }, "input_type": "log", "message": "org.springframework.web.client.HttpServerErrorException: 500 Internal Server Error", "offset": 14670, "source": "/opt/ALLMODULESLOG/test/test.log", "type": "mixlog" }

2018-05-02T09:20:04Z DBG Publish: { "@timestamp": "2018-05-02T09:20:04.073Z", "beat": { "hostname": "nodeD", "name": "nodeD", "version": "5.5.0" }, "input_type": "log", "message": " at org.springframework.web.client.DefaultResponseErrorHandler.handleError(DefaultResponseErrorHandler.java:94)", "offset": 14789, "source": "/opt/ALLMODULESLOG/test/test.log", "type": "mixlog" }

2018-05-02T09:20:04Z DBG Publish: { "@timestamp": "2018-05-02T09:20:04.073Z", "beat": { "hostname": "nodeD", "name": "nodeD", "version": "5.5.0" }, "input_type": "log", "message": " at org.springframework.web.client.RestTemplate.handleResponse(RestTemplate.java:641)", "offset": 14882, "source": "/opt/ALLMODULESLOG/test/test.log", "type": "mixlog" }

For more information, I've added sample screenshot here.

Is the multiline pattern inside '?

Your config should look like the following, without ':

multiline.pattern: ^\d{4}-(0?[1-9]|1[0-2])-(0?[1-9]|[12][0-9]|3[01])

Still getting the same output, no luck :frowning:

Well, for me it works. :frowning:
Could you please provide the full config formatted using </>? You might have an indentation problem somewhere.

filebeat.prospectors:

- input_type: log

paths:
- /opt/ALLMODULESLOG/test/test.log

document_type: mixlog

# Defines if the pattern set under pattern should be negated or not. Default is false. multiline.negate: true

# Match can be set to "after" or "before". It is used to define if lines should be append to a pattern
# that was (not) matched before or after or as long as a pattern is not matched based on negate.
# Note: After is the equivalent to previous and before is the equivalent to to next in Logstash multiline.match: after

output.logstash:
# The Logstash hosts
hosts: ["xx.xx.xx.xx:5044"]

logging.level: debug

`

Could you please format it so everything is in the same code block. In this format I cannot see if the indentation is correct.

filebeat.prospectors:

paths:

# Defines if the pattern set under pattern should be negated or not. Default is false. multiline.negate: true

# Match can be set to "after" or "before". It is used to define if lines should be append to a pattern
# that was (not) matched before or after or as long as a pattern is not matched based on negate.
# Note: After is the equivalent to previous and before is the equivalent to to next in Logstash multiline.match: after

output.logstash:
# The Logstash hosts

I corrected the whitespace error I have seen. Could you try this config?

filebeat.prospectors:

paths:

# Defines if the pattern set under pattern should be negated or not. Default is false.

# Note: After is the equivalent to previous and before is the equivalent to to next in Logstash

output.logstash:
  # The Logstash hosts

That's great, it's working now. Thanks a lot for your support.

But still I couldn't realize what was the change I had ? As per your last comment, it was already there, and I added single space in at the beginning of the line. (Ex : multiline.pattern: xxxxxx).

And now I can see two entries for each log line :slight_smile:

Anyway thanks for your great help...!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.