Why am I getting _dateparsefailure in Logstash?

Hi,

I am trying out ELK GA 6.3. Using Logstash jdbc plugin, I am fetching rows from my oracle table. Below is my complete configuration;

input {
	jdbc {
		jdbc_driver_library => "/Logstash/ojdbc6.jar"
		jdbc_driver_class => "Java::oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
		jdbc_connection_string => "jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.0.1:1521:user01"
		jdbc_user => "user01"
		jdbc_password => "user01"
		statement => "SELECT field_a,field_b,field_c,timefield FROM table_a where rownum <= 1"
		add_field => { "logtype" => "my_dblogs" }
	}	
}

filter {
	if[logtype] == "my_dblogs"{
		date {
			match => [ "timefield", "ISO8601" ]
			timezone => "GMT"
			target => "@timestamp"
		}	
	}
}

output{
	stdout{ codec => json }
}

below is my json output;

{
	"field_a": "dummy",
	"field_b": "dummy",
	"field_c": "dummy",
	"@version": "1",
	"tags": ["_dateparsefailure"],
	"logtype": "my_dblogs",
	"timefield": "2017-06-09T01:23:00.357Z",
	"@timestamp": "2018-06-19T11:48:25.333Z",
}

timefield is a date_time field and is mapped like that in elasticsearch without any problem. As you can see, I am trying to assign it to @timestamp using date filter, and it creates a _dateparsefailure. I have provided ISO8601 as described in the doc. I have also tried yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss.SSSZ, but it also creates error like [FATAL][logstash.runner ] An unexpected error occurred!.

Why is this happening? How can I fix this?

Thank you.

(Dan Hermann) #2

@elasticheart, I don't see any problems with the configuration of your date filter. I set up a test case that eliminates the jdbc input since that should not affect the date parsing:

input {
  generator { count => 1 }
}

filter {
    mutate {
        add_field => { "timefield" => "2017-06-09T01:23:00.357Z" }
    }
    date {
        match => [ "timefield", "ISO8601" ]
        timezone => "GMT"
        target => "@timestamp"
    }
}

output {
  stdout { codec => json }
}

I get this output:

{
    "message":"Hello world!",
    "host":"myhostname",
    "sequence":0,
    "timefield":"2017-06-09T01:23:00.357Z",
    "@version":"1",
    "@timestamp":"2017-06-09T01:23:00.357Z"
}

Does that work for you? If not, what OS are you on?

(Christian Dahlqvist) #3

As you are using data from the JDBC input, that field is possibly already a date and not a string, which is what the date field expects. If you output the event to stdout with a rubydebug codec you should be able to see if it is printed surrounded by ", which I believe would indicate it is a string.

@Christian_Dahlqvist as you have said, the field is a date and not a string. I want to cast it to @timestamp. How can I do that?

@danhermann there wont be any problem with your example, since you are creating a string field. In my case, the field is already a date field, and I want to assign it to @timestamp.

(Dan Hermann) #6

@elasticheart, you (and Christian) are right. In order to copy the existing date value, you can use the
mutate filter with the copy option.

(Christian Dahlqvist) #7

One option might be to modify your SQL to read it out as a correctly formatted string. If you need to process it using a date filter, e.g. to change timezone, you may want to add it as a string field and the run the date filter based on that.

@danhermann it works! But could you kindly tell me which one had good performance and utilize less CPU. A) Querying my timefield as string (using to_char of oracle) and using date filter, or B) using mutate filter?

@Christian_Dahlqvist I agree. But could you kindly tell me which one had good performance and utilize less CPU. A) Querying my timefield as string (using to_char of oracle) and using date filter, or B) using mutate filter? There is no need to change timezone because everything is in GMT.

(Christian Dahlqvist) #10

I do not know. From a Logstash perspective reading it out as a correctly formatted string requires less processing, but that instead requires your database to do that work. In all I would expect this to have little impact on throughput.

(Dan Hermann) #11

@elasticheart, retrieving the date from the database as a date and just copying it to a new field is faster than converting from the string representation to a date although the performance difference between the two is pretty small.

(system) #12

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.