Why am I getting GrokTimeout for a my simple log?

Hi,

My grok keeps timing out while trying to filter a not so complicated/long log file. I have been trying for days now to no avail. I have tested all the patterns in the grok constructor with no issue so the main problem seems to be how the pattern is reading the log to cause a timeout, and not the integrity of the patterns. However, it is possible that my patterns aren't optimal because I am new at this.

The sample log file I am trying to filter is:

Error Code: E-00000
Severity: WORDS
Category: CATEGORYTYPE.CATEGORY
Timestamp: 2016-09-08 06:08:12.621
Exception: TextTextTextTextTextTextTextText TextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextText
TextTextTextTextText
at TxtTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTe
at xtTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTex
at TextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTextTe

Machine: XX00XXXX000X
Application Domain: Application.exe
Process Id: 0000
Process Name: C:\file\file\filehere\file.exe
App Type for Log: NAME
Win32 Thread Id: 0000
Thread Name:
Extended Properties:

Where my grok looks like this, and all the 3 letter patterns are just the names of each category and won't be displayed. The problem seems to be from the filter because when I take out the "Exception: " field from the log and filter, everything runs perfectly smoothly.:

filter{
        grok {
        timeout_millis => 60000
        patterns_dir => "/etc/logstash/patterns/patterns"
        match => { "message" => "%{ERC}%{CODE:ErrorCode456}%{SPACE}%{SEV}%{WORD:Severity}%{SPACE}%{CAT}%{GREEDYDATA:Category}%{SPACE}
        %{TIM}%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:Time}%{SPACE}%{MES}(?<Summary>%{SPACE}(?:(?!((Machine: )|(Exception: ))).)*)%{SPACE}%{EXC}(?<Exception>(.*\s*)*(?:(?!Machine: ).)*)
        %{SPACE}%{MACH}%{SERVER:Server}%{SPACE}%{APD}(?<ApplicationDomain>.*exe$)%{SPACE}%{PID}%{INT:PID}%{SPACE}%{PRN}(?<Process Name>.*exe$)%{SPACE}%{ATL}
        %{APPTYPE:App Type for Log}%{SPACE}%{WTI}%{NUMBER:ThreadID}%{SPACE}%{THN}%{SPACE}%{EXP}" }
        }
}

And my patterns are:

ERC Error Code:\s*
CODE \w-\d{5}
SEV Severity:\s*
CAT Category:\s*
TIM Timestamp:\s*
EXC Exception:\s*
MACH Machine:\s*
SERVER \w+{8,}
APD Application Domain:\s*
PID Process Id:\s*
PRN Process Name:\s*
ATL App Type for Log:\s*
APPTYPE \w*
WTI Win32 Thread Id:\s*
THN Thread Name:\s*
EXP Extended Properties:\s*

This is the error I get in case that it's of any help.

[2016-11-11T15:21:06,063][WARN ][logstash.filters.grok    ] Timeout executing grok '%{ERC}%{CODE:ErrorCode456}%{SPACE}%{SEV}%{WORD:Severity}%{SPACE}%{CAT}%{GREEDYDATA:Category}%{SPACE}%{TIM}%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:Time}%{SPACE}%{MES}(?<Summary>%{SPACE}(?:(?!((Machine: )|(Exception: ))).)*)%{SPACE}%{EXC}(?<Exception>(.*\s*)*(?:(?!Machine: ).)*)%{SPACE}%{MACH}%{SERVER:Server}%{SPACE}%{APD}(?<ApplicationDomain>.*exe$)%{SPACE}%{PID}%{INT:PID}%{SPACE}%{PRN}(?<Process Name>.*exe$)%{SPACE}%{ATL}%{APPTYPE:App Type for Log}%{SPACE}%{WTI}%{NUMBER:ThreadID}%{SPACE}%{THN}%{SPACE}%{EXP}' against field 'message' with value 'Value too large to output (791 bytes)! First 255 chars are:

Anyone?

You do have a GREEDYDATA pattern quite early on, which I believe can be quite inefficient. Is it possible to try replacing this with something more specific?

Thanks for the protip!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.