5.2.x environment variables bug?

I've been trying to get environment variables to work in 5.2.x, but no matter how I try to set them Logstash does not recognize them.

I've tried setting up them up as permanent system environment variables, and I also tried adding them the /etc/default/logstash. But, logstash does not see the variables when it's running as a service, nor does it work if I run logstash directly bin/logstash -f /path/logs.conf

But, if I upgrade to 5.5.x, things start to work in these cases...
Logstash running as a service pipeline, the variables are read from /etc/defaults/logstash

Logstash from the commandline bin/logstash -f /path/logs.conf, the variables are read from the linux system environment variables.

So, a few questions:

1. Can someone please confirm if this is a defect with 5.2.x?
  2. If this is not a defect in 5.2.x, then what am I doing wrong? How do I get this to work with 5.2.x?

Upgrading to 5.5.x is NOT a preferred path to resolve this unless there is absolutely no workable solution in 5.2.x.

My company requires a lengthy upgrade approval process, which we don't want to deal with right now, so if there's a workable solution for 5.2.x please point me to it.

If it's a defect that is only resolved in later versions of logstash please let me know.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.