Accessing _version metadata field from elasticsearch using logstash

Hi,
I'm using the ELK- Stack to import CSV files. Each time the CSV files are imported the "_version" field of a document increases, which is as expected. However, because the _version field is a metadata field, is not indexed by Elasticsearch. Therefore the field is not searchable and cannot be used in the Dashboard.

I've created a second logstash configuration where both the input as well as the output are Elasticsearch.

Filter configuration:

filter {
mutate {
   add_field => {"Version" => "{[@metadata][_version]}"}
 }
}

Input configuration:

input {
elasticsearch {
  hosts => ["localhost:9200"]
  index => "test_csv"
  query => '{"query":{"match_all" : {}}}'
  size => 1000
  scroll => "1s"
  docinfo => true
  docinfo_fields => ["_index", "_type", "_id", "_version"]
  schedule => "/1 * * * *" 
}
}

I cannot get the value from the _version field. The Output in Kibana looks like:

Version         {[@metadata][_version]}

If I replace the _version field in the filter with _id or _index I get information back.

Any ideas on how to get value out of the _version field? Any thoughts on the matter are highly appreciated.

I have not tested it, but believe this is supposed to be:

mutate {
  add_field => {"Version" => "%{[@metadata][_version]}"}
}

1 Like

Hi Christian,

If I change the Logstash configuration as you mentioned, the output in Kibana looks like:

Version_Scrapy	       	%{[@metadata][_version]}

Actually I am not sure if it is possible to access the data from this field. Because it depends on the view if I can see the"_version" field in JSON or not.

Regards,

If you need a version, I would recommend you add a field to represent this rather than rely on the internal one that you can not control.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.