Add_field doesn't work

Dear all,

I install metric beat on a window server to receive log. I tried to combine some of the field using add_field but it cannot capture the old field value. Any idea?

if "metricbeat" in [tags]{
mutate {
add_field => {
"process.summary" => "%{system.process.username} %{system.process.name} %{system.process.cmdline}"
}
}
}

result

process.summary %{system.process.username} %{system.process.name} %{system.process.cmdline}

Thanks

I think you are referencing nested fields incorrectly. This should probably be:

"process.summary" => "%{[system][process][username]} %{[system][process][name]} %{[system][process][cmdline]}"
1 Like

But I really have field name which are "system.process.username", "system.process.name", "system.process.cmdline". And I want to combine these field so I use add_field

The fact that the string contains your pattern typically indicates that the field you have specified does not exist or is incorrectly specified. Output the event using a stdout plugin with a rubydebug codec to troubleshoot this. Then you will see exactly what your event looks like.

I tried to use rubydebug codec as output but still fail

stdout { codec => rubydebug }
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["1.1.1.1:9200","2.2.2.2:9200"]
manage_template => false
index => "metricbeat-%{+YYYY.MM}"
}
}

What does the output to stdout look like?

Here's the sample

That is not the output from the stdout plugin. What does a full event look like when you look at it in Kibana?

Do you mean this one?

Capture2

As you can see your fields are nested. Did you even try the example I provided earlier?

Yes, I have tried but the result still same. May I know if any configuration wrong?

Filter

mutate {
add_field => {
"process.summary" => "{system.process.username} {system.process.name}"
}
}
}

Output

else if "metricbeat" in [tags]{
stdout { codec => rubydebug }
elasticsearch {
hosts => ["192.168.6.27:9200","192.168.6.28:9200"]
manage_template => false
index => "metricbeat-%{+YYYY.MM}"
}
}

Result

Json Output

That is wrong as it is missing % ahead of the curly braces and also use the dot notation. Did you try this:

"process.summary" => "%{[system][process][username]} %{[system][process][name]} %{[system][process][cmdline]}"

If you did, please show us the output.

1 Like

I tried to change configuration and it works now. Thanks a lot!!!

Capture7

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.