Add_locale is inserting wrong timezone

I am using filebeat -> logstash -> elasticsearch.

I am trying to harvest a log file that uses timestamps in the machine's local timezone, but without any explicit indication of what the timezone is. Example:

[2018-01-26 13:31:21.331]...

My servers are in many different timezones, so I need to normalize these times. I think the new add_locale processor is supposed to help with this by adding the machine's timezone into the output. But, the timezone is always reported as "+00:00" in the output.

My filebeat config includes:

processors:
- add_locale: ~

Here is an example rubydebug output from logstash:

"@timestamp" => 2018-01-26T19:33:30.733Z,
    "offset" => 9195,
  "@version" => "1",
    "format" => "...",
      "beat" => {
        "name" => "...",
    "hostname" => "...",
     "version" => "6.1.2",
    "timezone" => "+00:00"
},
      "host" => "...",
"prospector" => {
    "type" => "log"
},
    "source" => "...",
   "message" => "[2018-01-26 13:33:22.064]...",
      "tags" => [
    [0] "beats_input_codec_plain_applied",
    [1] "_grokparsefailure"
]

The system reports the correct timezone from the date command:

$ date +'%Z %z'
CST -0600

Am I doing this right? By what means does add_locale determine the timezone of the machine?

What OS? How did you start the Beat? Was the Beat executed in the same environment that you ran date from?

On Unix the timezone is determined with:

// consult $TZ to find the time zone to use.
	// no $TZ means use the system default /etc/localtime.
	// $TZ="" means use UTC.
	// $TZ="foo" means use /usr/share/zoneinfo/foo.

This is my development environment where this is occurring: CentOS 7 running in Docker on a CentOS 7 VM, running in VMware on a Windows 10 host. So - CentOS 7.

filebeat is just started from the command line:

/path/to/filebeat/bin/filebeat -e -c /path/to/filebeat/filebeat.yml >> /path/to/filebeat/log/filebeat.log 2>&1

Yes, I ran the date command in the same docker container.

$TZ seems to work correctly also:

$ echo $TZ
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago

So this filebeat instance is running inside of a Docker container? What image are you running?

It is built from centos latest: https://hub.docker.com/_/centos/

To that we add the following packages along with some other minor tweaks, none of which I think should have any bearing on the issue:

bind-utils dnsmasq emacs-nox git htop \
net-tools openssh-server openssl \
psmisc python2-pip screen snappy snappy-devel \
sudo the_silver_searcher tree which wget

I think we've figured out the cause. In the docker image we work with, the TZ variable was set in the .bashrc as:

export TZ="/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago"

So, apparently add_locale was looking for a timezone spec at /usr/share/zoneinfo/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago? And when it didn't find that, I assume it reverted to the system default or to UTC.

When I changed to:

TZ="America/Chicago"

filebeat worked correctly! (And the date command still does, too.)

This discussion got me to read 'man timezone' on CentOS 7. There are a whole lot of other valid formats of TZ that appear to be supported by the OS, so something like this is likely to come up again. Curiously - man timezone indicates that the filespec format is supposed to start with a colon ':' followed by either a relative path or absolute path to the timezone spec file. But, apparently the colon is optional for some tools!

I suggest at least documenting on the add_locale page the TZ algorithm you described above. And you may consider adding support for more formats.

Thanks!

1 Like

I'm really glad you figured out the root cause. BTW the TZ algorithm is entirely implemented as part of the Go stdlib, and I just copied their pseudo code comments from the source.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.