Adding optional match pattern to grok for syslog messages

Currently I am using the following logstash configuration to match syslog messages in the form of:

Aug 10 01:09:56.071 (info) smtpd: [178cea3e-9c3a-11e8-93fa-f3ebd9db2b94] [SMTP] [EHLO] EHLO SEKO-SBS.sekonorthampton.local

Configuration:

input {
  tcp {
    port => 5000
    type => syslog
  }
}

filter {
  if [type] == "syslog" {
    grok {
      match => { "message" => "%{SYSLOGTIMESTAMP:syslog_timestamp} %{SYSLOGHOST:syslog_hostname} %{DATA:syslog_program}(?:\[%{POSINT:syslog_pid}\])?: \[%{UUID:msgid}\] %{GREEDYDATA:syslog_message}" }
      add_field => [ "received_at", "%{@timestamp}" ]
    }
    date {
      match => [ "syslog_timestamp", "MMM  d HH:mm:ss.SSS", "MMM dd HH:mm:ss.SSS" ]
    }
    mutate {
      remove_field => [ "syslog_timestamp", "message", "host" ]
    }
    if "_grokparsefailure" in [tags] {
      drop { }
    }
  }
}

output {
  elasticsearch { hosts => ["${ELASTICSEARCH_ENDPOINT}"] }
}

However, I need to add an optional match for the following slightly different message format:

Aug 10 01:07:56.371 (info) smtpd: <hg4892ty> [d0b9edad-9c39-11e8-93fa-f3ebd9db2b94] [SMTP] [EHLO] EHLO [contc1.ore.domain.com](http://contc1.ore.domain.com/)

Notice, it includes an additional string <hg4892ty>. Essentially I need help updating grok match to optionally accept <at least one character up to N characters of letters and numbers>

(?<foo>[a-zA-Z0-9]+)

If you know what N is then you could replace the +. For example, if N is 10 then replace it with {1,10}

So the full additional to the grok string would be:

%{<[a-zA-Z0-9]+>:h_id}

Where the variable name is h_id and should optionally match a-zA-Z0-9 one or more.

No, the syntax should be what I shewed. This is not using %{} for pattern name expansion. It's a bare pattern.

(?<h_id>[a-zA-Z0-9]+)

I think using the following seems to work as well:

<?%{USERNAME:h_id}?>? ?

Note, need to option the space at the end and the opening and closing brackets.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.