Aggregate on a sequence item in EQL

Hi all :slight_smile:

I am trying to run an EQL search where the first item must occur X amount of times or more before the second item in the sequence will be ran. Anyone know how I can do this?

AKA for the example below, I want to see if a new session was started to a device and a successful log in occurs, but I would like to see if a sessions was started 5 or more times before a successful log in.

GET /OMITTEDINDEX/_eql/search
        {
          "query": """
          sequence by client.ip with maxspan=30s
              [any where event.record_type == "SSL_HANDSHAKE_SUCCESS" and service.type == "Session New" and client.ip == "OMITTEDIP"] 
              [any where event.record_type == "LOGIN"]
          """
        }

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

There is no syntactic sugar to do this, you need to define the first matching query 5 times:

sequence by client.ip with maxspan=30s
              [any where event.record_type == "SSL_HANDSHAKE_SUCCESS" and service.type == "Session New" and client.ip == "OMITTEDIP"] 
              [any where event.record_type == "LOGIN"]