Aggregation inside Visualization

Hello there,

I try to aggregate data with Kibana visualization but I've got some troubles.

First, some information :
My source file look like that :
ID | name | char | number1 | number2 | number3 | number4 | time

I've parsed that log to extract the information in dedicated field.
Then, I try to sum the "number column" and to group them by ID

I used the DevTools to try, here my Query in SQL (yes I didnt master the DSL yet...) :
POST _sql?format=txt
{
"query":"SELECT id, (nbDigit + nbSpec + nbUpper + nbLower) as length FROM "test-report-audit*" WHERE note!='A' AND note!='D'"
}

The output look like :
id | length
---------------+---------------
559980310 |6
404312591 |9
941595003 |10
157634821 |9
977421435 |10

Now, I tried to use this result inside Kibana Verticale Bar to count the number of occurence of each number from the field "length". But I'm stuck.

On this forum, I found (in an another thread) that is not possible to use DSL Query inside vizu.
So I guess I have to left my SQL Query to figure it out with split slices/chart only ?

But, I don't know how to "convert" this result in a Kibana Visualization and moreover I don't know if Kibana can do this kind of operation ?

Thanks for your help,
Kamfart

Your options here are:

• Create a scripted field in your index pattern which can be used generally in Kibana, especially in Visualize. I think this is your best option.

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/painless/current/painless-guide.html

• Use the SQL statement you described while building a Canvas dashboard and visualization
  • Use the Vega visualization, which supports querying elasticsearch directly via DSL or SQL

Hi Wylie, thanks for your help !

I've tried the 2nd solution, with Canvas, and it work perfectly :ok_hand: !

Now, I'm trying to understand how Painless work.
But I've got a little problem.
Because is only about Painless langage, do I need to open another thread on Elasticsearch forum ?

Thanks,
Kamfart

Yes, I think you will get the best help there. I'm definitely not as familiar with that language!

Thanks for all the solution Wylie, I'm going to close this topic.

Kamfart

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.