Allocate specific shards on specific nodes

Hi,
given that I have a cluster with for example 8 nodes
elastic1 -> elastic8
and I create an index with 8 shards, is there a way to enforce the following from the start:
shard 1 should be on elastic1,
shard 2 on elastic2,
shard 3 on elastic3
shard 8 on elastic8.

I know you can use the _reroute api afterwards based on how elastic routed the shards initially but I would like to have something where I can tell elasticsearch to do this from the start.

I need this because I have a plugin that keeps a state in memory for certain documents,
and I need to know for sure if a new index is made on what node a certain shard is on.(needs to be same for new indexes)

You cannot do this automatically, and you don't want to.

This seems extremely dangerous.

There are ways to influence shard allocation, for instance based on racks or how beefy machines are. That said I am not sure these apply to your case. Also, I don't follow why you would need to do that. You mentioned that you have a plugin that needs to know and maybe that is the root of the problem. Maybe you can explain a bit more about the plugin and the reason behind this requirement though.

I still think there are more advanced use cases where you want to have full control over allocations.

For example if you start with 8 equal servers with x amount of (smaller) indices having each a different amount of shards. If you would then create a new larger index that gets searched a lot with 8 shards, it could be that 2 shards are assigned to one node and that one node would bring down the search performance. Because you're not using a well balanced index over all nodes.

I think it's a limitation of the current index create API if you're able to do the allocation with the reroute api immediately afterwards. Either you don't expose the _reroute api or have similar functionality available from the start in the create api.

The plugin is my own plugin, it tracks usage of certain documents that I need in ordering (score changes based on usage). It needs to be fast and expire after a while. I can't use an attribute in the index as this would need disk acces and recreation of the document each time the attribute gets updated. I use a fixed guava java cache, that expires after x amount of time so it will never expose a threat to the server memory.

Anyways I've managed to get it working using the _reroute api now.

Did you have a look at shard allocation filtering? Sounds like it would help in your case, and would be much less manual that using the reroute api.

Cheers
Luca