APM Agent not able to send in logs to APM Server error: Connection refused

Kibana version: 7.6.2

Elasticsearch version: 7.6.2

APM Server version: 7.6.2

APM Agent language and version: Java 1.15.0

Browser version: Google Chrome Version 80.0.3987.122 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: Official Deb from here

Fresh install or upgraded from other version? Fresh

Is there anything special in your setup? For example, are you using the Logstash or Kafka outputs? Are you using a load balancer in front of the APM Servers? Have you changed index pattern, generated custom templates, changed agent configuration etc.

No

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

I have my Elastic stack installed on an AWS instance. Kibana is running fine and confirms successful connection between ES and APM-Server. So, my Elastic Stack is running all good.

I have my Java application running in a Tomcat server hosted on another AWS instance in the same VPC as my Elastic stack, and have configured the setenv.sh file as instructed here.

When I restarted my tomcat server, i should start getting data in APM-Server, but in the apm-agent logs I see the below error :

2020-04-16 14:54:50.445 [elastic-apm-server-reporter] ERROR co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler - Failed to handle event of type SPAN with this error: Connection refused (Connection refused)
2020-04-16 14:54:50.446 [elastic-apm-server-reporter] INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler - Backing off for 36 seconds (+/-10%) 

I have used the private IP of my ElasticStack instance while configuring the apm-agent in setenv.sh file in tomcat server.

What should I do, and where should I debug more ?

Provide logs and/or server output (if relevant):

2020-04-16 14:54:50.445 [elastic-apm-server-reporter] ERROR co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler - Failed to handle event of type SPAN with this error: Connection refused (Connection refused)
2020-04-16 14:54:50.446 [elastic-apm-server-reporter] INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler - Backing off for 36 seconds (+/-10%)

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Check out this section of the troubleshooting guide: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/apm/agent/java/current/trouble-shooting.html#trouble-shooting-no-data

Hey @felixbarny Thanks for the prompt response. I have tried the troubleshooting steps and couldn't figure out a solution or any other issue more than I have described in my post.

What happens when you do curl -v <apm-server-url>?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.