APM elastic.apm.ignore_exceptions does not work

APM Agent language and version:

Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):

I want to use elastic.apm.ignore_exceptions setting to ignore temporary logs from APM Agent when queue in APM Server is full or when APM Server is not working so it receive 503 error. So exceptions from co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler

Based on doc:Core configuration options | APM Java Agent Reference [master] | Elastic I added elastic.apm.ignore_exceptions in elasticapm.properties, then as linux ENV, then as JAVA_OPT (-Delastic.apm.ignore_exceptions=co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler) but nothing changed.

During startup my application I can see INFO co.elastic.apm.agent.configuration.StartupInfo - ignore_exceptions: 'co.elastic.apm.agent.report.IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler' (source:

but still I can se ERROR logs from IntakeV2ReportingEventHandler and still some functions in my app does not work because of that.

I use elastic-apm-java agent in 1.35 version

Can someone explain how this setting should work?

You got this configuration wrong. It is not intended to avoid logging errors. It is used to allow users to define types of exceptions (not types of non-exception classes) that the agent should not send APM error events for when thrown.
If the problem is with agent messages within your app logs, you can use the log_file config option. If you want to disabled agent logging altogether, you can set log_level=off.

How is that related? What functionality in your application doesn't work? This shouldn't be related in any way to the agent failing to send data to APM Server.

Sorry. I don't understand how this ignore_exceptions works. Could you explain im other words?

My wildlfly wasn't start because of 503 ERROR.
So my Idea was to disable those kinds of errors and APM will do not have data, but my wildlfly wilk work properly. IT basically ignore APM Agent fails.

Besides transactions, spans and system metrics, the APM agent also collects error events. Those are shown in the overview page or on a separate tab, as shown in this screenshot:

These error events are created based on error indication within your application code, for example:

• if one of the well known logging systems is used and an error is logged through it
  • if one of the methods that are instrumented by the agent exit with an exception

The ignore_exceptions can be used to tell the agent to not send error events if an instrumented method exits with an exception from a specific type. So if you want to do anything with this configuration, it would only take effect if you set it with class names of subclasses of Throwable.

In any case, this configuration will not affect what the agent writes to its log, like the error you want to remove.

Could you explain in other words? :wink:
What is the exact and full error that prevented your WildFly from starting? You should share the full log, or at least the relevant part, if you want us to be able to assist.
It is highly unlikely that setting this config option made a difference in whether your WildFly starts or not. Please share the full rationale of what you think prevented from it to start.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.