Kibana version: 7.10.2
Elasticsearch version: 7.10.2
APM Server version: 7.10.2
APM Agent language and version: java - 1.20.0
Browser version: Chrome, latest
Original install method (e.g. download page, yum, deb, from source, etc.) and version: ECK stack and beats installed with elastic operator, logstash with custom helm.
Description of the problem including expected versus actual behavior. Please include screenshots (if relevant):
I'm currently trying to integrate elastic APM server and agent binding to my spring cloud application with Istio inside my cluster with w3c traceparent methods. the flow is listed below.
spring : using spring cloud sleuth 3 with trace propagation as w3c
spring communication : spring open feign
apm agent : using default mode which is w3c
istio : using opencensus agent bridge to propagate w3c the trace from spring but not exporting anything
trace flow from above is working and I'm able to track all the traces inside my
apm-* index fine, but when I go to my APM dashboard(the APM UI in observability) any service to service communication will be labeled with
External and show only IP to that service like image below
and if I go into that span detail it will be like this image
Steps to reproduce:
- install istio and enabled trace propagation
meshConfig: enableTracing: true proxyConfig: tracing: openCensusAgent: context: ["W3C_TRACE_CONTEXT"]
- install elastic stack+filebeat+apm server with eck and logstash with helm
- configure spring cloud application binding with java apm agent with init container method
- perform http request on service to service communication inside k8s
- verify that service that getting called from service-a is display as ip instead of apm tracked service
how do I fix this apm display as external ip instead of actual service name that get calls? because service traffic will get routed by envoy proxy sidecar.